Violent double feature (Bobby and Last King of Scotland)

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 24, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

After pulling some single parent duty the last few weeks while my wife has been doing class reunion stuff, my wife repaid the favor by taking the girls today. I had these two movies at home and decided to catch up since I've been spending more free time playing games since I got the PS3. So I just watched The Last King of Scotland ir?t=homthelou-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000NIVJF4.gif and Bobby ir?t=homthelou-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000MEYJI8.gif , literally back to back. I feel drained. They're both based on actual events. How loose the portrayal is, I don't know, they were both before my time.

I don't know if Idi Amin was as charismatic as this, but Forrest Whitaker makes you like the guy even though you know how terrible he was and the terrible things he did. Apparently completely manic, he is portrayed as loving benefactor and complete madman from scene to scene. I found myself easily understanding the actions of Amin's physician, first complying out of naive love and admiration, then perhaps out of fear, but ultimately being unable to tolerate the madness he must determine what steps to take, knowing the risks associated.

Bobby tells the story of the assassination of senator and presidential hopeful Robert F. Kennedy after a speech/campaign rally at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. I was more aware of the situation here than I was with what was going on in Uganda in the 70s, but I still wasn't there, don't know the exact climate, didn't experience any first hand reactions etc. The movie takes an interesting approach by focusing on the events and characters who were injured during the assassination, following them through their day prior to Kennedy's arrival. I don't know if it was the writing or the acting or if I'm just a sap but I became very attached to the characters and was just as devastated to see them lying in pools of blood as Kennedy. The epilogue claims they all survived.

To make a long story short, I HIGHLY recommend both of these films. If you tend to be easily emotionally manipulated like me, I wouldn't watch them back to back ;)

2. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Idi Amin was a notorious figure in the 1970s, much as gaddafi was in the 1980s and saddam in the 1990s, though not so much in a threaten-the-neighbors way. Whitaker's performance is magnificent in how it captures the Amin i remember from news clips and whatnot back then.

"bobby" entertained me, but intellectually i experienced it as superficial hero-worship.

3. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I didn't get that impression from Bobby but I wasn't there when it happened so I don't know if they just completely glorified him beyond what people thought of him etc.

4. I haven't seen BOBBY as yet, but I have seen THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND. It was one of those films that stayed with me for several days. As for Whitaker, well he did make you like Idi at times but when the dark side came out....

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Last night I saw "Last King of Scotland." Excellent film, top-notch acting.

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Glad you enjoyed it.

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

...and thanks for the recommendation.

Have you seen "Breach"?

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Not yet, but its in my queue.

9. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

We finally got to watch Last King of Scotland tonight. I thought Forrest was amazing, but, he is one of my favorite actors. It was also nice to see Gillian Anderson again. I used to have the biggest crush on her.

I thought the movie was good, I was pleased with the ending but it was very painful getting there. Much like Apocalypto ( we also just watched this) it started off making us laugh and have a little fun. The older I get the more gas I seem to pass so that scene had my wife and I in stitches. As the story grew we could not help but wonder WHY, what did he see in this young dr.? Why did he trust him so much? Was it because he was young and naive, Just because he is from Scotland or was there another reason? Then we could not help but wonder WHY this young dr. did some of the things he did knowing nothing but bad could come of the

Like Apocalypto, I will probably not watch again but I am glad I did watch it.