1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Watcha readin'?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Tyson, May 18, 2007.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I recently got back into history mode and just finished On the Origins of War: And the Preservation of Peace, by Donald Kagan. I thought it was well written, but one might need to be really interested in the subject matter to finish it. At a minimum I learned about the Peloponnesian Wars and the Second Punic War for the first time. The other wars covered are WWI, WWII, and then the Cuban Missile Crisis. He goes into detial of how things got to the brink of war, and what could have possibly been done to avoid them. He stops once the war starts, or in the case of the Cuban Missile Crisis, once Kruschev removed the missiles. Very interesting read.

I just started Goodbye Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War, by William Manchester. So far it's off to an excellent start. Really enjoying it.

What are you reading? Or what did you just finish? What's up next?

Tyson

2. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I'm currently re-reading the Otherland series by Tad Williams. It's one of my favorite sets of books and was written back when the Web was just starting and well before The Matrix was even conceived.

White Knight by Jim Butcher is probably next on my list.

I also need to read Order of the Phoenix before the movie comes out.

After that I'm not sure. I've got about thirty unread books in my stack at home. I'm generally reading at least two books at a time, sometimes three.

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Just finished Wicked by Gregory Maguire , wasn't a fan and it was a chore for me to get to the end of it.

I'm now re-reading Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Star Wars trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Froce Rising, The Last Command)

After that, I'll read Eldest by Christopher Paolini since I enjoyed the book Eragon and want to see what he does with the story but I've heard not so great things about it.

I might take a break to read Al Gore's book The Assault on Reason when it comes out next week, though.

4. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I hate that. It is hard for me to put a book down like that, too. It's much easier for me to stop a movie. Not a book. Especially history.

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I used to be that way with books. I've been a voracious bookworm ever since I was a little kid and it was some sort of twisted badge of honor for me to finish any book I started. Finally about five years ago I got over that, and if a book just isn't interesting to me I stop. There are way too many good and interesting books in the world to waste my time on ones that don't appeal to me.

That Timonty Zahn Star Wars Trilogy was most excellent. He really captured the characters well.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I would post what I'm reading but it is too political and would prompt the wrong kinds of discussions for this forum.

I am VERY happy to see there are readers here. :)

7. Tyson

Tyson New Member

How 'bout a PM? Unless it's too personal or you don't want to for whatever reason. Just curious what that scandalous book is that you are reading.

8)

8. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Wicked as not a great book. FYI, "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" was a good read.

The Thrawn Trilogy is probably my favorite of the post ROTJ Star Wars books. Granted, I have not read all the books.

I read Eragon and Eldest. Did not care much for either, but will probably read the third to see how the story wraps up.

9. stevej

stevej New Member

For One More Day- Mitch album- It's a quick read and I enjoyed it very much- great for the airplane.

Steve

10. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Samuel Huntington's The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order.

11. cjd

cjd New Member

Hmm, I don't remember them all.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Foundation's Fear (I think that's it? I roll through a couple no-thought-required paperbacks a week winding down) I just breezed through a bunch of Raymond Feist, the rest of Asimov's Foundation series (plus the robot series and the one Empire book in print... still want the others!) Not sure what's next - still a couple months till I'll roll through all the Harry Potter books with the new one arriving in July. :) That'll be a week or two of reading.
    The complete works of Shakespeare, the rather thorough classic literary dissection that is included in the collection (it's one huuuge book) as well as Asimov's Guide (which is fun, looks at everything from a totally different perspective, puts it all into context of the social climate of England, of the countries/times written about, all sorts of bits).

C

12. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm also working through The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I read a story/case every once in a while between other books.

13. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Those are some great stories. I have the entire collection in an oversized hardcover edition that are reprints of the stories as they appeared in Strand Magazine. It's very cool.

14. Tyson

Tyson New Member

The two books before these that I read were Hannibal Rising and Until I Find You.

Hannibal Rising I thought was very good. Is it the fourth installment for the Hannibal Lector series? I think it is. It goes back to Lector's horrible childhood all the way to early adult. It makes no excuses for his actions but one is able to see how became what he did.

Until I Find You is one of the latest by John Irving of The World According to Garp fame. It is a long book but borders on one of those 'almost put it down but couldn't quite do it' books. Strange, interesting characters, which he is famous for, but the overall story almost seemed to ramble a bit.

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

This thread. :) :)

16. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel New Member

Excession by Iain M. Banks.

It took a number of years before I began reading Banks' SF works, and I have really enjoyed the 'Culture' novels to date.

Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Use of Weapons

- Walter.

17. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I recently attempted Barbarians at the Gate, having really enjoyed Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room as well as Conspiracy of Fools. But Barbarians just didn't do it for me. I found it dull, and found much of the back-story content was just verbose and pointless.

It's rare for me to read fiction.

18. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Have you read many of his other books? Did you think his other books rambled?

19. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I've read:
    The Wolrd According to Garp
    The Hotel New Hampshire
    The Cider House Rules

I don't remember them rambling really at all. It has been awhile since I read them, though, especially the first two on my list.

What do you think of Irving? Have you read Until I Find You? I did like Until I Find You but the length I think is due to some ramblings and passages that probably could have been dropped or shortened.

I really have enjoyed his style and works and will eventually catch up and read all of his novels. I have to be in the mood for him so I take my time with his bibliography.

20. Tyson

Tyson New Member

We've got some Fantasy and Sci-Fi readers.

I get on Sci-Fi kicks every once in a while, but have never really gotten into Fantasy.

Some Sci-Fi books that I can remember reading and liking:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Red Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson (I've tried to finish Green Mars twice. If anyone has finished the entire trilogy and demands that I finish it because it is that good, please say so. I just ran out of steam on my own and didn't think I could pick it back up a third time. Seems to me it just wasn't as good as Red Mars.)

Dune - Herbert

1984 - Orwell

Idoru - William Gibson

A Clockwork Orange - Burgess

Sphere - Crichton - Really enjoyed the book. The movie was crap, as I knew it would be once I read the book.

The Gunslinger (the whole series by Stephen King)

I wish I could remember the 'smaller' novels I have read. There have been quite a few. The above list are for the most part very well known as you can see.