1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

West World - HBO - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Drew, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

So far, this show is legit. Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins have been excellent in the first two episodes. I definitely recommend it.

Anyone else watching?

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Watched the first half of the first episode and thought the acting was bad, the writing was bad, and the plot arc was non-existent. Turned it off, deleted from DVR queue.

3. Drew

I'm glad you committed 35 minutes.

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

OK I found that the first show kind of dragged a little but I made it through, the second show is picking up. I am not completely sold but I see potential for it to become excellent.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

It made it past the ten minute test, which is what I normally give something to make me want to keep watching. But then it failed.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

The TV shows I'm watching have kind of tailed off so I might start watching this one. I've heard good things from coworkers and it has very good ratings online. Andrew and Max, are you still watching?

v1.dDsyMTU1MzM7ajsxNzE3NTsyMDQ4OzY0ODs5NjA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2016
  7. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

I've been watching from the beginning. I'm a little more tolerant that David in giving series a chance. The first few episodes dragged / meandered but around the 4th or 5th episode, it started to come together (which I find is often the case with drama series) and I've been enjoying it.

8. Drew

Still watching. The night it airs. Imo it's a fantastic show.

9. CJ

I'll give it a whirl this weekend then and let you know what I think.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

I've throughly enjoyed it. It isn't fast paced but slowly builds and I'm looking forward to seeing how it wraps up this weekend.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Thoughts on the finale?

12. Drew

13. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Boy is my face red! I guess I shouldn't have chosen last night's episode as the first one I see. :)

14. Drew

Season 1 is on par with the first season of True Detective and The Wire IMO.

15. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I think it's a fantastic show, and it's slow build is intentional to me. I think it's a great gap filler for HBO when GOT isn't on.

16. Drew

Season 1 of WW ended up more highly rated that Season 1 of GoT. Nice filler they got there.

17. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

That's impressive Drew, I think it appeals to a wider audience in some ways...while some don't like the "Western" aspect of WW, others don't like the "Fantasy" portion of GOT.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

We've watched the first two episodes. I'm not super excited about it but definitely intrigued. I'll probably jump back on it after finals next week.

19. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

If the second season is as good as the first GoT will be the filler for me. I didn't find any of it slow. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly we apparently aren't going to get season 2 until 2018.

20. CJ

Well, I finally got around to this and binged the entire series in two days and want more. I'm not sure if David would have ended up liking this but he should have given it more time. This is up there with Breaking Bad and GoT as far as I'm concerned. There are a few holes that have to be overlooked but there are holes and incongruities in the series I just named as well.

SPOILERS

My minor issues that I can just overlook include
    1) People take their kids here? Even in the drop zone which is supposed to be most tame, there are murders taking place and shortly after the show starts, there's an outright massacre in the street every day after drop off. And the main location at the drop off seems to be the brothel. But oh well... I'm just not sure why they showed guest families coming when they just as easily could have not had any non-host kids.
    2) I wish they would have written a system where guests could take damage. I get that being invincible is central to the man in black's boredom and maddening search for more but its almost comical that he's been doing this for 30 years. I feel like most guests would be bored after a week.
    3) As sad as it is that I consider this a minor issue, I find it hard to believe that there is a steady stream of guests who primarily want to at least screw hookers but more likely rape and kill. Then I look at real world news and shrug my shoulders and say "maybe..."

More major issue
    1) Many people have flashbacks or dreams while both sleeping and awake. When a show does this, its fine as long as you follow some rule. My biggest gripe with season 1 was how everything appears to be on one timeline barring the obvious flashbacks and dreams until at the end its like "psych!!!! William and the man in black are the same guy... haha, tricked you." It far from ruined the series from me but come on man...

At the end of the day I was left wanting more. I think a few tweaks could have made the story better. But they probably wouldn't have been small things to pull off and may have impacted future story arcs.