What an evening

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Alfer, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Well we had an interesting end to our dinner hour...

I went to my parents house to dine with them, my 5 year old daughter, and my niece (7) and nephew (10) who are visiting from Colorado.

My parents live in a very nice neighborhood here in town, not much ever really goes on...well tonight changed that a bit.

We finished dinner and the 3 kids decided they wanted to play outside on the driveway area like they've been doing all week while we clean up dinner etc...I ran upstairs to clean up the kids room when after a few minutes I hear crying and some yelling..I ran down thinking the kids fell down on the cement or something...instead they're yelling that a strange man is outside...so I go runnin out and don't see anything...I hear my dad yell at someone (dad isn't too mobil due to post surgery issues)..as I round the corner I see a hanging plant the guy ripped down, and by no the stumbling 20 something guy in just a swimsuit is heading down the road toward the back of the neighborrhood.

I called 911 and the dang phine rang and rang and rang...I called twice and still couldn't get an answer...finally THEY called back to ask what was up..we told them, and they said they had numerous callsa and on the way.

My mom and dad watch the kids while I get in the car with phone in hand to follow the stoned dude..other neighbors are in cars keeping him in site...he's yelling and flipping us off...I try to snap a pic of him in case he bails...he sees me and screams and runs as best he can at me...I just drive off...we waited what seemed like forever before the cops show...they finally do and we called later to see if they nabbed him..dispatch says yes.

Man talked about some freaked out kids! We got them calmed down though...gave them bravery badges and ice cream and let them vent about what a bad man he was...we just left it that he belonged in another neighborhood and was looking for someone and was a troublemaker....they were feeling better as the evening went on.

I'm proud my little girl knew what to do...my niece said the minute they saw him my little one screamed "STRANGER!!" and they all ran into the house...she felt she was the "Super SAver" of her cousins...:)

Thankfully it ended ok and nothing real bad happened, but now it's easy to see how things can change in a split second.

What sucks is that every day for the last 4-5 days there's always been an adult sitting with the kids as they play, but tonight was the ONE night we let them hang outside a few minutes by themselves....it's a neighborhood you feel 100% safe in...goes to show ya, that isn't always the case.

2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

wow!

glad everyone is safe.

yes, you just never know.

If security is an issue....
    take some preventive measures now.
    There are many camera & perimeter defences available.

it's the 3 PM or 3 AM intrusions when either you aren't around
    or arent' awake & coherent.

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The kids did fine and obviously do not need constant adult supervision. Most people can identify people who are "out of place". The ones you have to worry about are the "normal" ones.

"Wednesday, why aren't you dressed?"
    "I'm a serial killer, they look like everyone else".

Hey, the only victim was a potted plant, and the posse chased him down the street. What better security is there?

4. Chris White

Chris White New Member

So, long story short, you're saying someone needs to go bail out Colton??

:wink:

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:lol: :lol:

6. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Wow, that is pretty scary. I could tell by your typing that you were very frantic so i read it really fast to keep up!

I remember about 12 years ago there were a few nights when we would hear something on our back porch. I thought it was a raccoon or dog in the trash cans but it was a hobo sleeping back there. I scared him off the first time. The police came the next time and finally I just heated up a pot of water to almost boiling and just dumped it on him. I worried I might burn him and he might sue but at the same time I figure that is the closest thing to a bath he has had in a while.

7. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Man...what a fickle world we live in now...

I remember the days when, if you pissed off the school bully, you got a black eye and went home crying to your mom. Now...they just shoot you. My brother and I used to walk nearly 2 miles to school...now, there's no way in hell I'd let my kids walk. It really kind of sucks ass.

8. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

All this attention because I knocked down your stupid hanging plant? Pffft. Can I have a bravery badge and ice cream too? :wink:

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Well, glad everyone is OK and that your daughter did the right thing. You seem to have strange run-ins between this and pedophiles hanging out where your wife works (though I guess that at least makes sense). Yeesh. Keep your eyes on your kids I guess. Scary world. No more kids being gone from sun up to sun down like when I was growing up.