What big movie will be released this summer that's...

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Saurav, Jun 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

* Not a sequel
    * Not based on a book, graphic novel, comic or video game
    * Does not involve penguins

In other words, an original movie idea.

What are you excited about seeing?

I'm trying to think of movies in the last few years that fit those criteria. The first Matrix is an obvious choice. The first Pirates too... it was based on a theme park ride, but that's OK, it was kinda an original movie idea.

Other than that... what big movies have we had lately? LotR. Harry Potter. Narnia. Spiderman/Batman. X-Men. Lots of sequels. War of the Worlds. OK, Minority Report was probably an original movie idea. Star Wars prequels.

OK, Pixar and Dreamworks have had original ideas. Shrek, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo.

Not saying there haven't been good movies made. I'm talking mostly about the 'summer blockbuster season' - what original ideas have there been recently?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

How about the SciFi thriller: Sunshine. Made by the team that did 28 Days Later and the Director of Trainspotting and Shallow Grave, it has gotten some decent reviews. From its official webpage:

For producer Macdonald, Garland?s script was a real page-turner. 'I think Alex writes tremendously visually, and, unlike a lot of scripts you read, SUNSHINE has got a driving narrative that really pulls you along. Some scripts are quite academic and hard work but with Alex?s scripts you can easily visualize the story as you read it.'

The trio of Boyle, Macdonald and Garland had previously teamed up for Fox Searchlight?s 2003 smash hit 28 Days Later. 'We share a love of certain types of films, but we all have our own opinions of how they should play out, which I think makes the relationships stronger,' says Macdonald. 'One of the key things is that Alex is very much the writer and Danny is very much the director and they both have very strong voices. My job is to help them realize what is in their imaginations, while at the same time balancing that with the practical realities of making a successful film.'

'I think we are all very ambitious people but for some reason when we get together we abandon our egos,' Boyle notes. 'I kick into the script and Alex kicks into the film and we are quite blunt and honest with each other and that helps the process enormously.'

Boyle was drawn to both the Icarus II?s literal voyage to the Sun as well as its crew?s psychological journey as they head out across the cosmos. 'Traveling to the Sun is great visually, but also very interesting psychologically,' he explains. 'We wanted to make the film as psychological a journey as possible. There is the question about what happens to your mind when you meet the creator of all things in the universe, which for some people is a spiritual, religious idea, but for other people it is a purely scientific idea. We are all made up of particles of exploded star, so what would it be like to get close to the Sun, the star from which all the life in our solar system comes from? I thought it would be a huge mental challenge to try and capture that.'

In their desire to present, on screen, a believable space mission rather than a piece of science fantasy, the filmmakers looked first to NASA in their research, watching numerous space documentaries as well as classic science fiction films, and meeting with as many scientists and astronauts as possible. Macdonald had seen the young British physicist Dr. Brian Cox on a BBC TV program and contacted him with a view to discussing the project. Thereafter Cox, who works at CERN [the Centre for European Nuclear Research], the world?s largest particle physics laboratory in Geneva, joined the production as scientific consultant, and his input was to prove invaluable. On hand to give the cast and crew a better understanding of the Solar system, he also worked intensively with Cillian Murphy, who plays Capa, the ship?s Physicist.

'The science is extremely sound in the film,' explains Cox. 'You can tell Alex is a fan of science as well as a science fiction fan. There were a few edges we ironed out but basically it was the back story rather than the plot that my expertise was needed for.' Adds Boyle, 'You become obsessed with the accuracy of the science and you do try to obey the rules of physics and make it as real as possible, but in the end you have to abandon certain elements and just go for what is dramatically effective.'

In line with social and economic predictions regarding the continued growth of China as a global superpower, the filmmakers concluded that any future space mission would include a significant Asian contingent. 'The film has an American/Asian crew because we felt that in 50 years time the Chinese and American space programs would be the most developed and that they would have the economic power to bankroll such an endeavor,' says Boyle. 'But ideally we were looking for actors from all around the world.' Auditions were held in Los Angeles, New York and London, with Boyle eventually bringing together an impressive international cast, with actors hailing from America, Japan, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and Britain.

The premise reminds me of the old joke about the country (unnamed not to be accused of bigotry) who announces during the space race that they will send their own team of astronauts into space; but instead of going to the moon, they will go to the sun. "But your ship will burn up, they are told." "That's where you are wrong, they reply. We are going to land at night."

3. Saurav

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Maybe I'm just old and jaded :) But after watching Spiderman 3, it just felt like all I had seen out of Hollywood this summer was rehashes of old ideas.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Sunshine as well, looks fantastic. Hard to go wrong with rated-R sci-fi. Oh, and of course, The Transformers.

Pirates 3 = a rental
    Spidy = doubt I'll ever see it
    Shrek = doubt I'll ever see it
    Potter = doubt I'll ever see it

None of these above give us anything even remotely new, there all rehashing old junk.

5. Saurav

The transformers will be a big movie, but it's not an original idea.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

What Transformer movie has been done before? It's a toy made into it's first movie, seems fairly original to me, at least more-so then many, many of the movies out or coming out.

7. Saurav

My point is, it's not an original concept. Yes, it's a first movie. And it's more original than many other movies. But 'Transformers' is an established franchise that already exists. I was asking about original movie ideas that weren't based on something that existed before.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Original concept films, doubt we'll ever see much more of those. Hollywood, for the most part, is washed up and out of ideas. Now, it's time for; sequels, remakes, toy movies and comic book movies. Don't expect that to change in the distant future.

9. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

While this is the first live action Transformers movie, there was the animated one back in 1986, which is still a favourite of mine. I'm really looking forward to the live action one even with the changes they're making, i.e. they don't look anything like the cartoon versions.

I'm also looking forward to Sunshine and the only other really original movies that I'm looking forward to seeing are Knocked Up and Ratatouille. I'll see anything from Pixar.

There are some sequels and remakes that I am looking forward to seeing, such as The Bourne Ultimatum, Halloween (I love horror movies), Ocean's Thirteen (this one has to be good...they owe us after the last one) and Die Hard 4.

Of course, there's the Simpsons movie too. I've been waiting forever for that one.

10. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Minority Report was based on a Phillip K. Dick short story so we have to eliminate that one also.

I definitely get what you are saying though. Hollywood does NOT like to take chances on new concepts, especially for summer tent pole films. I think Ron P is right and that we are going to get a continuous stream of movies based on proven licenses for quite some time.

Sunshine is definitely on my to-see list.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

What Sean said, not only would the Transformers TV series knock it out of contention in my mind but there was in fact actually a feature length movie as well.

12. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Even going back 50 years, it seems that a fair number of "big" movies are based on other material. The trend is going away from novels and towards other media (games, comics, etc), but the idea of using an existing idea does not seem to be anything new.

13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I agree. In general, the filter of time is far to kind to previous decades. The current era is always under fire by older folks who claim to have lived through the golden age. There's a lot of crap out there now but I'd argue there are more films with seeing in 2007 than in 57, 67, or 77. You just have to find them. Same with music.

14. Eric

Eric Active Member

My thoughts exactly!

Oh, and while it's not totally original (original screenplay, but based on common plot lines), I thought Knocked Up was excellent and I'm sure it will do well at the box office.

15. Saurav

Dude. I'm not that much older than you. Sheesh.

:) :) :) :) :)

I didn't know Minority Report was based on a story.

I'm not talking about Gone With The Wind and Dr. Zhivago. I pulled up a top grossing movie list here:

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/boxoffice/alltime.php

And the following look like they were original movie ideas:

The first Star Wars
    ET?
    Matrix
    Shyamalan's movies. I forgot about those
    Jurassic Park? I've seen books, but I don't know if the movie came first or not
    Indiana Jones?
    The first Terminator

These are movies from when we were growing up, right, last 15-20 years (well, the original SW releases were before my time). Now how does that compare to the last 5 years?

Again, I'm not saying that there aren't good movies being made. I'm saying that studios seem to be playing it safe and not trying any new ideas with summer blockbusters. That's a very different thing. They are good movies, they're just not original ideas.

16. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

The books were first.

17. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Saurav, that wasn't aimed at you really. But I do disagree. You are thinking of the wrong studios IMO. There is a ton of good stuff out there from small studios or ones that aren't even in the US, let alone California...

18. Saurav

Once again, I'm *not* talking about the quality of movies at all. I'm also not talking about all movies. I'm *only* talking about the big summer releases (which kinda limits the discussion to Hollywood), and *only* talking about whether the stories are original or not. That's all.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the movies themselves. I feel like that point's getting lost here.

19. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Oh. sorry.

20. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think that the idea of "summer blockbusters" being based off of existing material is all that new.

I would guess that is is more the standard since "summer blockbusters" came into existence.