What book would you like to see made into a *good* movie

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, May 8, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

So this can include books that have already been poorly made into movies, or books you love that have never gotten their due?

For me I'd love to see the Terry Brooks Landover books made into movies. I know Brooks is more famous for his Shannara series but I never got into those. Magic Kingdom for Sale would make a great movie IMO. I also read a book a few years ago called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August that I think would make a great movie. A little random, but the book was great.

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

The Cardinal of the Kremlin (Clancy).

CJ likes this.
  3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

It will never happen, but Atlas Shrugged would be my nomination.

Mikael Soderholm likes this.
  4. DustinDavis

Already made...I take it you found it "not good".

5. Dan Driscoll

You sir, are a master of understatement! ;)

6. It was good that the movie(s) were actually made, but they weren't really good, unfortunately.
    Still bought them, though (actually took part in the crowdfunding of the last one), and have watched them once. May need to revisit them again just to see if they were as bad as I remember.

My suggestion for a (series of) book(s) I'd like to see would be The Golden Compass/Northern Light, or the whole His Dark Materials trilogy.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

There were multiple big issues. The production budget was just not there. Also, they switched actors for the second movie. Not surprising that Hollywood doesn't want to make this movie.

8. Dan Driscoll

The biggest stumbling block is Rand's (and now her estate's) requirement that every word of dialog from the book be exactly the same in the movie. I don't believe it would be possible to include all of the dialog in a movie less than 5 hours. The 'trilogy' attempt was 5 hours 13 minutes and was terrible. Worse, even in the books her dialog is somewhat stilted, probably because she was not a native English speaker. Which means any attempt to carry the exact dialog onto film will also sound stilted and awkward.

IOW, as long as her estate holds the copyright a decent screen version cannot be made.

9. Rick

Rick Member

Yes, not good production values at all on the "Atlas Shrugged" movies. I would like to see Frank Piretti's "The Oath" as a film, and this one, which I'm kinda partial to: The Last Witness

CJ likes this.
  10. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

A Proper "Scoped" version of Frank Herbert's Dune. I believe Denis Villeneuve is going to be the director of this new version of the film coming a few years from now. Rather than one film, make three films out of the first book. While the Sci Fi mini series was more detailed than the 1984 film, the visuals for me were beyond distracting and amateur.

11. DustinDavis

What about Ready Player One?

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Its being directed by Spielberg and coming out in 2018.

13. DustinDavis

Whoa, Spielberg? That's awesome.

CJ likes this.
  14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Indeed.

15. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

This was done for TV, and I just watched the first season on Netflix. I found it entertaining.

16. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Ring World would make a nice set of films. :)

17. Dan Driscoll

Given the technology of the time and the budget limitations of a made-for-TV movie, I thought they did a pretty good job with the costumes & FX. Equally important, they stayed pretty true to the book and the acting was also decent.

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

I agree. The only thing that really stood out to me was the reuse of the same action/explosion shot over and over again. I recently rewatched it during my late night Everly rocking sessions. The whole thing is on YouTube. It wasn't as good as I remember it being but it was still quite good. It would definitely take a full trilogy to do it justice though.