What brokerage firm do you use/like?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Saurav, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

This will be for pretty small amounts, so preferably something on the discount/low fees side. Not looking for fancy advisers etc. What should I look for anyway? Would the smaller places have access to index funds etc., or would I be limited to investing directly in individual stocks?

2. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I use Edward Jones and not for big amounts. Fees seem low to me but I've never been with anyone else. I think they are pretty good for your 'neighborhood' broker. I see them here and there in small shopping centers in Southern California.

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

If you are interested in mutual funds, I srongly advise againt using any sort of brokerage house. They make their money from loads, and there is compelling evidence that load funds do not outperform non-load funds.

Most feel that the best index funds are from Vanguard; these can be purchased directly: https://flagship.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw/FundsStocks

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

In answer to the question: None

5. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Thanks for the contribution, Alfer :)

Larry - my 'main' investment (401K rolled over into an IRA) is with Vanguard, and that is invested in their mutual funds. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to handle this for after-tax cash that I want to try and invest. I'd probably need a separate account? Or sub-account, linked into my main account, or something. And I also thought that Vanguard had high-ish fees and/or minimum investment amounts. I don't run into those with the rollover IRA, but I probably would with a smaller account.

Tyson, thanks, I'll look them up.

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Saurav:

Most likely.

Here is a link to vanguard's Index Fund page. As you can see, they have almost every conceivable Index Fund. And the fees are rock-bottom.

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Many mutual funds and most stocks can only be purchased through a broker. A good discount broker will charge a set fee, no load or commission.

A lot of independent advisers like Scott Trade. E*Trade is also pretty decent, I have an account there.

8. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

TTBOMK, it is only load-funds than must be purchased through a broker. Non-load funds can be purchased directly. Again, TTBOMK.

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Check out the recommendations on The Motley Fool (www.fool.com) FWIW, I use Merrill Lynch for stocks and Putnam for mutual funds.

10. ryant

ryant New Member

I use Vanguard to setup my Roth IRA and some mutual funds. They have some good index funds with low costs associated with them. They have a decent website to do all of the transactions with them, no issues so far.

I also have an Etrade account for trading stocks. It was setup through work for RSU's and Options. Their fees aren't too bad I think. I used to have a TD Amertrade account, but didn't really care for their service and I wanted to consolidate my money so I closed it.

11. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I use Edward Jones for investments, Vanguard and TIAA-Cref for retirement funds. Edward Jones provides good service, sometimes too good. I had to remind my agent several times that I did NOT want her to "hold my hand." I finally had to tell her, don't call me, I'll call you.

12. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Edward Jones. For a mix of stock/funds. My sister is the money brains in my family, and she uses them.

13. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Schwab. Large list of no-load funds. I have a couple of IRAs there and an investment account, mix of funds and stocks.

14. RicP

RicP New Member

I've been with T. Rowe Price for quite some time now and am very happy with them. In fact a couple of the (now closed) funds I hold with them have seen incredible gains over the last 5-7 years.