What do you want in a 6th gen iPod?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Adil M, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Adil M

Adil M New Member

If you could request your own "reasonable" features, what would they be:

1) Flash Drive - smaller and better battery life, overall size of a Razr
    2) Widescreen - OLED maybe, Not touchscreen
    3) Wireless transmission - Useful, not novelty feature l
    4) Better Custom EQ - I'd like to able to pay $20 and professionally calibrate my new headphones at the Apple Store
    5) Display rotation sensor - for when you turn it sideways to watch a movie
    6) Could a camera get tossed in? - Not so reasonable or is it?
    7) Easy to access digital out.

I could see this at the $300 pricepoint or more.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

You've almost described the iPhone...

- Steve

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Bigger hard drive. That's actually all I care about, give me the 3rd or 4th gen iPod with a 120 gig hard drive and I'd be happy camper.

4. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

I say, replaceable battery and HDD. I say it isn't impossible. The portable Compact Flash / SD / Memory Stick / XD backup system I just bought does that very thing. I bought mine without any HDD. I bought my own HDD and formatted in the device, no issues. Battery is also user replaceable.

Graeme

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Member War Zone Member

Despite being a tech nerd I've never seriously considered buying an ipod because I don't have a need for one. I have access to am / fm talk radio at work and I have a CD changer in my truck. If the device could either play Gameboy quality games or serve as my cell phone then I would consider getting one.

6. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

An 80 gig iPod that is exactly like the forthcoming iPhone without any of the phone features.

That's all I need. That iPod.

7. cjd

cjd New Member

Nano is almost there - go back to the square edges, more memory, and lower prices - they're fitting 8 and 16GB in compact flash cards, should be no trouble to get at *least* that much into such a device. Under a hundred bucks for a 4GB model..

All that other crap is bloat. Worthless junk to me. Stuff you have to pay for anyhow. I know some people use it (and more think they'll use it and never do). I have no such illusions. Doesn't mean some model shouldn't offer it, but the bigger screen models should be available without phone, camera, etc.

Being able to replace the battery would be a great step. I think it might still have to be an "in store" service to keep size down...

EQ and such is *software* actually... just buy good headphones though.

I listen to a lot of classical on mine so good in-ear monitors are pretty much a requirement, both for their ability to deal with noise and my pickiness. :)

C

8. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Replacable battery & FM

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Ability to play .wav and .cda files.

Caveat - I don't now and probably will never own an IPod.

10. Adil M

Adil M New Member

I bought 4 Ipods before getting my own secondhand and I am converted.
    It's a good product.

I am waiting for my iWatch.

11. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Do ipods have gapless playback (no pauses between tracks)?

12. Chris White

Chris White New Member

That would increase my interest.

13. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

yes

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Flac support for the iPod and iTunes.

15. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

'Large' storage at 'little' price...the rest of the glitz just wears off after a while...I have a 512mb and I can't envision using it for anything but a music player even if I had a larger storage capacity.

16. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'm happy all around with my 60 gb iPod. While I put a few games on it, it's a music device for me. No video material at all.

Actually, after having my entire library on it at first, which was about 50 gb 2 years ago, I've actually taken content off after realizing that I have things I still don't listen to, no matter how accessible! I can always put it back on, but without it my "shuffle" feature has improved greatly (all bow to the "shuffle") :D

If I could make some improvements, it would be to iTunes and the device operating software instead. First up...

Improve the ability to create playlists by albums not just songs. When I add new artists it is usually an entire album. If you create a simple playlist based on 'added date", it grabs it by songs, so the playlist could have more than one artist. Not good. I have a work around solution by creating a "New Albums genre" and assign it to new material. This does allow management by albums, but is extra work for both me and the library to change the genre later on.

What I'd also really like is the ability to manage artists, album names and songs on the screen by font color. You could then assign a "new addition" with a certain color, (Extra points if it is a "smart color" that changes after a certain date). Then you could scroll through a list could see that particular color and know it is a new addition. Color could be used for a lot of other ways too, I'm sure.

How hard would that be?

17. Adil M

Adil M New Member

Jasn,
    I like that suggestion.
    I also have trimmed lots of music from my collection, b/c it ruins my overall shuffle experience. The Ipod is not just about music and archiving. It is used for storing videos and TV shows and keeping class lectures and notes. At Duke you can get a Refurb current Ipod plus a Belkin recorder for $99.

CJ,
    I heard that FLAC used more battery than Apple's lossless codec, I know it sounds fishy and Apple probably just wanted their own format. Wav has problems being tagged like FLAC and Apple Lossless.

I think I might like the Ipod to have a walkie-talkie function.

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

Bigger screen.