1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What is this sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Mrjelly007, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Mrjelly007

Mrjelly007 New Member

So I was at a flea market and came across this subwoofer. It's made by definitive technology and it's a 15 inch. Thing is, I can't find it online anywhere! Anyone know the specs or anything about it? Thanks and here's some pics e522ab2da7c641faf1b329c1c5bf59ea.jpg 0798943e5d743e61e3f551b01d62440e.jpg c602ff9e7d8ad3036e72915e7e85f92e.jpg e3a4c91fbf3b914d051dc0c509c9ccea.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I believe it was a sub that was introduced as being a lower option to their SuperCube line. I think its probably OK albeit a bit old. If you got a great deal on it I think it will work fine.

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

PF1500. Mid-90's vintage. 250 watt amplifier that was prone to failure. The driver and enclosure are quite good. These still sell on EBay now and then for around $800 I think.

4. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

David is correct. I had one of those, and the amp developed a hum after only a few years. As I also found it to be "boomy" at the center of it's band, I eventually gave it away. Went IB and have never regretted doing so. If they're selling for $800 on eBay, that surprises me as that's what I paid for mine new, albeit at a closeout discount price.

And welcome to the forum.

5. Mrjelly007

Mrjelly007 New Member

Well it sounds pretty good for it being that old. It beats my 2 old Yamaha 12s as well as my 2 vintage cerwin Vega 12s. I was thinking of getting another amp for it because this one gets quite hot and shuts down at near half Volume.

6. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Just replaced the amp on my SVS. :(

Look for amps on ApexJr and Parts Express.

7. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My old amp didn't work well?

8. Mrjelly007

Mrjelly007 New Member

So if this amp is 250rms, does that mean that the sub can't take any more than 250?

Phil Rose likes this.
  9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Not necessarily. Although if the overall maximum output is achieved around 250 watts RMS then using more power will likely cause distortion and damage the drivers. The woofer (and I assume this model has passive radiators like a lot of Def Tech subs) are only designed to handle so much power the the subwoofer overall has a maximum output that is limited by design factors other than power. My bigger issue when subwoofer amps die is they almost always have EQ built into the amp that is specific to the sub and you'll never be able to replicate that.