What to see, eat and do in Boston

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'll be attending a Police concert at Fenway so Fenway is taken care of. I'd rather see a baseball game there but this trip can't encompass that.

The trip is in late July so I'm expecting it to be hot and steamy. We went to Washington DC during this time last year and it was 105 degrees with bad humidity.

What are the must sees, must places to eat and must things to do while in Boston.

I heard about a place that is the oldest restaurant in the US. I've also heard about the North End where we might be able to find some Italian stuff :)

Lay it on me.

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Boston shouldn't be as bad as DC heat wise.

Eat lot'sa fish - :D

Seriously, if you've never had a whole lobster you should try 1. Get it baked stuffed and it shouldn't gross you out. I would get it steamed, but knowing you, I think you might have a negative reaction pulling the tail off of a steamed one.

Fried whole belly clams. You can get a "clam roll" which is these in a hot dog bun topped off with tarter sauce. Hella good!

:D

3. Shane

Shane Active Member

Well I won't be eating Seafood. I can't stand the stuff and it's not for a lack of trying so as long as the seafood restaurant has chicken, beef, pork, pasta or something along those lines I'm good. I'm going with 3 other people so as long as we're all satisfied, I can't complain.

4. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Wait a minute here...

I thought you tried the crab cakes in MD and found them good?

Change your mind?

You have to know that fish in Boston is a whole different story than fish in Tulsa...

:?

5. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

I ate at The Bull and Finch (I think that's the name) - the bar/restaurant that was used for Cheers (or modeled from). But my favorite thing about Boston and the surrounding area was the unbelievable tasting Boston Cream Pie. Be sure you get that for dessert everywhere you go. Since I am from Md., the seafood wasn't memorable. If it doesn't have old bay (which is not popular in Boston) it just doesn't taste right. I remember ordering a pound of Steamed Shrimp and was miffed it wasn't loaded with steamed onions and old bay. But every region has it's own style and should be respected (especially Md :)) We also did the Freedom Trail (I think that's the name) which is a walking history tour of the city. As you can see, I am not all that familiar with the city, but those are the things I remember. I was actually in the area for a Cape Cod trip and we just did a day trip to Boston and Plymouth. I really want to go back one of these days. If you have time in your schedule, western Mass. is also very nice. In fact, I have been there more than any other part of Mass. The Hancock Shaker Villiage and Tanglewood Festival (summer home of the Boston Symphony) are a few highlights of western Mass.

6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Blue Man Group played in a really small venue when I was there, and it was awesome. Good place to see them more "close-up" if that appeals to you. North End is freaking fantastic Italian food. Visit Chinatown and get some good food. Lots of good pho shops, and dim sum. Newbury Street is cool for some really schmancy shopping.