1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What will happen when the Tivo Series3 rebate expires?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Chris White, Jun 13, 2007.

?

What will happen when the Tivo Series3 rebate expires?

1. They will immediately offer a new one for the same amount or more.

100.0%
  2. They will immediately offer a new one, but for less money.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They will offer another rebate, but probably not until the holidays.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. That's it. No more rebate.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I'm interested in buying a Tivo Series3 HD DVR, just not right this minute. There is currently a rebate of $200 that expires June 16th. What do you think will happen when this rebate expires?

If you have experience with Tivo products, your opinion will be especially appreciated.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

#1 or #4

Those are the risks you take.

Likely #1. Tivo needs the money since they are competiting against Cable DVR's. I can't imagine they'd get rid of the rebate.

3. Eric

Eric Active Member

I'd be willing to bet a rebate of some sort will come back in a couple of weeks. This is the first rebate they've offered on the S3, but once you break the seal.....

4. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Hard to say. Most of the rebates on their low end models typically have almost a continual rebate cycle. One ends and another starts. My guess is they'll have another rebate program but somewhere towards the 3rd/4th quarter. Tivo's future lies with the series 3 machines as more people jump towards HD programming.

My current Tivo hasn't been plugged in for about 6 months since I got the 8300HD box from the cable company. I miss Tivo's interface. It's an old series 1 sony machine with lifetime service but I never got to use any of the cool new stuff offered on the newer ones. In the 6 years of use that machine never failed me. Rock solid stability, elegant and easy to use interface, superior playback control and searching that are light years beyond the cable company DVRs. The cable company DVRs are 'functional' and probably fit the basic needs of the casual viewer but to anyone that has ever used or owned a Tivo will agree that there is no comparison between the two.
    While I've have no problems with the 8300HD box we also have an older 8000 DVR box in the bedroom that my wife uses and is always bitching about it not recording stuff (even when it shows up in the scheduled lists) and other quirky bugs. She uses it way more than I use the 8300 though.

When I can get the money or the series 3 drops in price I'll probably pony up to get one. Cost is the only thing holding me back.

Jeff