What will you do with your "loosing" machine

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by chad, Jun 23, 2007.

1. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have never bought into a format that lost before and it looks like I may have done just that this time around. I had VHS back in the day so that worked out for me. Then I went straight into DVD.

Early this year I bought a HD A2 and assuming HD looses the game I just wonder what my options will be. I only have a collection of 35 or so HD DVD titles so there is no great loss there. Then the machine that was around $350. I guess I can keep it for cd's or SD DVD.

What are you going to do ?

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I will use the "losing" player(s) to play a collection of 200+ movies in high definition, and upconvert a collection of 2400+ movies in standard definition.

There is no loser here, just my retirement fund. :D

- Steve

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Meanwhile, Larry is wondering why Chad wants to know what he will do with this:
    [​IMG]

;)

4. RicP

RicP New Member

I guess I'd tighten it up and keep watching movies. :)

20050909b.jpg

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson New Member

You assume that even if Blu-Ray becomes - well, probably is - dominant, that HD-DVD will go away or the the HD-DVD exclusive studios will begin releasing titles in Blu-Ray. It could become a niche of a niche market and then I'll still need my HD-DVD player. Anyway, for the $200 I paid for my A2, it's worth a risk and it got me into HD, wheras I would probably have waited at least a year before I could find a Blu-Ray machine for less than $300, new or used.

6. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I didn't buy that one, so I don't know. :)

7. brianca

brianca New Member

I'll keep playing games on mine. ;)

8. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson New Member

It's a great upconverting dvd player and the HD movies will be availble. It won't die off for a couple years even if BluRay wins so there will still be material to play.

9. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Look at that line of members with no avatar! Wtf guys? You don't own or have access to a digital camera? There are many who will help you out if you're not sure exactly how to do it. I think our goal here should be 100% avatars. I have balls enough to put my crippled, no breathing ass mug up here, you can't possibly be more hideous than me, so get it up! :wink: Uh, please...

Well, I've been so busy spending all my $$ on my two channel system I haven't bought into either format. I've believed in BD from day one, but Mike Knapp almost got me into HD-DVD when he sold his Planet Earth set, but MM beat me to it. When I do my FP rig next month I'll include a Panasonic BD player, but that's a whole other thread. :D

10. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

ill probably end up buying a combo player so my hd titles arnt a waste and move on.

11. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'll use it as an upscaling DVD player in another room.

12. Eric

Eric Active Member

Just making a little fun here. But there is only one HD-DVD exclusive studio...

13. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Just to nitpick, I thought Weinstein is exclusive to HD-DVD?

14. alan halvorson

alan halvorson New Member

Well - I haven't really been paying attention, I guess.

15. Eric

Eric Active Member

Hmmm, you may be right. I was thinking Universal was the only exlusive studio. My bad. :oops:

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Weinstein produces quite a bit of content for their size too so its not as trivial as it might sound when you think Weinstein vs. Universal or something. http://www.imdb.com/company/co0150452/

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

...and Weinstein has an exclusive deal with Blockbuster to realease all his titles at BB only...who we know is all about Blu now.

18. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I thought that Universal was just the company that did their releases. I didn't realize they were handling their own releases at this point.

Max

19. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

As Michael always points out, the whole industry is one big tangle of competition and cooperation on different fronts.

20. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Not only that but they distribute films from even smaller independent films. Think of them as a "mid major" to use a sports analogy.