1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What would do this?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by NathanP, May 21, 2007.

1. NathanP

NathanP New Member

I want to be able to store music in mp3 format, connect the storage device to my HT, and be able to call it up and play it using my television as the display device. I know I can build a computer to do this, but I'm wondering if there is anything cheaper and easier.
    Will a Tivo do this?

I know Kenwood came out with a devie called the Entre' that did this a few years back.

Man..I'm so out of the loop.

2. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Help?

3. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah, TiVo will stream MP3's from your computer. Works great. Other than that, you're going to have to look at other hardware...AppleTV and the like.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

isn't it only Tivo Series 2 that can stream?

An Xbox 360 will also work as will a modded xbox.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Apple TV?

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'd go with an Apple TV. It will look badass and isn't THAT much more than a Squeezebox. It will be my next player if move my rack to accommodate its installation.

7. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, I honestly haven't tried streaming MP3's to my TiVo Series 3. It'll show photos from my computer without a problem. I'm 99% sure that it'll do MP3 streaming as well. Of course, the Series 3 is ridiculous expensive. The old Series 1 TiVos won't do it at all...

8. Drew

Drew Active Member War Zone Member

Anyone seen this/use it? I remember seeing a review/a few reviews that said the apply tv was HORRIBLE. Choppy, poor quality, etc.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

The image quality for downloaded shows isn't yet in HD so that's where the complaints stem from. No doubt Apple will improve the quality of the shows/movies but for MP3's etc its ideal.

10. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

I am looking for an AppleTV like device, but it handles very few video formats, making me wonder why anyone would buy one.

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

Apple's banking on the iTunes store customers to pick up the Apple TV. They don't want to get in to a situation of trying to support a billion different video and audio formats. Though, admittedly it would be nice if they'd just support some of the bigger ones.

On the bright side, the box and software seem relatively hackable, and Apple doesn't seem to be putting up any major road blocks to hacking.

It's interface is excellent, though. Ideal if 99% of your media is iTunes accessible.

12. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

I use one of these

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318

I have mine hardwired via CAT5 and attached directly to my Home Theater system via optical. Works pretty well for less than $150.

13. CJ

The device itself is nice. I played with one for about 30 min at the apple store. The video quality is beyond horendous but you have to realize before the Apple TV the videos where geared towards 2.3" screens. They'll fix that. What I want though is the ability to rip DVDs with iTunes to make it a movie server.

14. CJ, does Apple TV allow you to somehow rip your DVDs onto a PC for playback throughout your home on your HDTVs?
    Or, does it just allow you to download movies to the server from the ITunes site?

15. CJ

No to the first question (it doesn't allow you), but you can via other methods, with pretty poor quality right now, and yes to the second question though the video is also too poor for a even a small TV like the 21" wide screen monitors in the store. You couldn't PAY me to watch an iTunes downloaded movie on my projector, it would be unwatchable.

16. Thanks CJ... then Apple TV is really only for someone who hasn't experienced better. Right?

17. CJ

Not really an accurate statement. It would work great for music because you can do lossless and it has a digital output for a DAC and the video will come along. The issue is quite simply that the only videos available for download right now really were intended for iPods. I'm sure apple knows that they're not watchable on a 36"+ TV.

18. Eric

Eric Active Member

The big sellers of the AppleTV right now are the fact that it's the only piece of hardware that will do iTunes store DRM (Fairplay) and the user interface is top notch. Once they straighten out codec support and movie/video resolutions at the iTunes store, I'll be tempted to get one.

19. Thanks Eric for the info.

So then, the Apple TV is for folks who are tied into the iTunes plan and not for folks who bought the discs and want to put that content on their media server? Is that correct?