1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What's Number 1 with you? Content or Technology?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Guest, May 16, 2007.

1. If you had to decide, which would you put first as your reason for loving this stuff:
    A. the movies and music themselves
    or
    B. the technology we use to view/listen to the content

If you want to see a new movie or listen to a CD of some music you love, do you wait to see or hear that content until you can see it in HD or on your best music system... or for the content you love is mono and/or SD just fine for you?

After carefully thinking about this, in spite of my love for "toys", for me what matters most is the music and the movie.

How bout you? What's your thinking on this?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Content, no question. That's why I choose CD over vinyl (my desired content isn't there) and its why I rent 10:1 DVDs over HD-DVDs even though I have an HD-DVD player.

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Music and movies. I can enjoy them anywhere on most anything. Having the 'toys' can add to the experience.

4. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Content is number one with me, by quality matters. I won't watch or listen to something I don't care for just because it's in HD or on a super system - I'd rather watch an OAR VHS copy of something I like than a HD copy of something I don't. I'd rather watch something I like in HD (I don't have an HD player yet), but not being HD isn't going to stop me.

In a way, I want both. If I had to give up one or the other, I'd give up quality.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Content

p.s. A "Poll" would have been nice to have.. :wink:

6. CJ

Yeah, its more of a sliding scale for me. A movie being on HD-DVD might add a few points in my book but I want watch shite just because its in HD.

7. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

CJ:
    Really? :wink:

9. CJ

DAMNIT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I'm currently heavily leaning towards the technology side. I want to watch things in HD.

Watching TV, I check out whats on the HD channels first.

Watching movies, 90% of my viewing is HD. This currently works for me because I can't watch as many movies as I would like to. If I had more time, there wouldn't be "enough" HD content, and I would watch more DVD.

If a movie is on TV that I have on DVD, I almost always won't watch the movie on TV (although sometimes I will get drawn in).

I also used to be a heavy music listener. I used to have a one way commute of 50 min, and had what I thought was a great sounding car stereo. I would crank it up and listen to 2 CDs a day. I now have a stereo that I don't think sounds that great, and my commute is 35 min one way. I usually just turn on NPR now.

-John

11. cjd

cjd New Member

Content.

I pick recordings for performance quality, not recording quality.

Same goes for anything else.

I'm not buying new movies right now because I certainly LIKE having the improvements HD promises and there is no content on HD yet I have any interest in...

C

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

John F said:
    Well there inlies your problem! :wink: :lol:

13. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

14. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

If I have a movie on DVD and I see it on HBO in HD, I might watch a few minutes of it if it's not OAR just to check out the quality. I won't actually watch a movie I know isn't OAR.

15. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

a: content

16. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Content...would love both...but content will always win. Hell...one of my favorite movies of all time is the original Casablanca in B&W...

17. IMO, good music in mono is always better than bad music in all its' multichannel glory on a $1M system.
    And a movie like Casablanca, watched on my notebook with headphones, is always gonna be better, IMO, than most of the tripe released on high res formats played back on the very best high res system.

18. mark j

mark j New Member

Content:

Most of the movies i have are pre 1960. I am not into the technology that much. This is the reason that I am waiting on the HD war. When one format wins and studios start releasing classic movie I will buy into it.

Mark

19. OT, but heck, it is my thread... so, Mark J., what classics are your favs?

20. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Content. Some of my favorite recordings are in mono. Most TV sucks, even in Hi-Def. I watch movies out of a love of film, and do not own any "demo DVDs."