1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What's the difference

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Dan S., May 9, 2007.

1. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Just a curiousity question. What's the difference between an administrator and a moderator on the board?I just noticed Shane as an admin and Jason as a mod, logged in at the bottom of the main page and wondered. I'm sure it's a pointless question, I just was curious.

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Admins have more "powers" regarding the software, for example deleting accounts, etc. Being somewhat software incompetent, I am effectively a Moderator, despite the fancier title.

3. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

It's just CJ being a control freak and trying to micro-manage who can do what.

4. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Moderators, have limited admin controls.

On my board they could not close the board, make new catergories,set passwords, or delete other members accounts.

Basicly they were the law enforcers. They could lock threads, suspend members, and other things.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

What these guys said, except for Saurav, he's an idiot ;)

The reason we have some mods is because certain things happen once you get turned on as an admin, like getting an email EVERY TIME someone registers. We don't need 7 people getting that email.

6. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Perhaps Larry should have been made a Moderator, so he doesn't accidentally screw something up? :wink:

7. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Thanks guys, that all makes sense now.

8. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Hey, just discovered the quick reply option, pretty cool.

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I just installed it ;)

10. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

OK, that's pretty sweet. Where's that been all my life?

11. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

& what pray tell is the difference between the two?

12. Ken McDaniel

Quick reply keeps you on the current page while opening a reply box at the bottom of the thread. Very fluid. This is going to be my new favorite feature.

13. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Yeah, I've seen that feature on other boards, very slick, especially if you are like me and use the keyboard for everything (i.e. don't use the buttons for tags). I likes!

Graeme

14. Ken McDaniel

Graeme, you are definately a credit to your profession. :lol:

15. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

:)

I am, by all accounts, a "power user" when it comes to the computer. Some people swear by the mouse, some by the keyboard. I use whichever will make my computer use more efficient!

Graeme