What's your BMI rating?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Alfer, Jun 14, 2007.

?

What's your BMI rating?

1. Underweight

100.0%
  2. Normal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Overweight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Obese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Underweight?
    Normal?
    Overweight?
    Obese?

Per Center for Disease COntrol and Prevention:
    Calculate your BMI here

I'm right at the tippy top of the "Normal" scale for my height/weight.

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Dunno for sure. I think BMI is BS. Just my opinion of course. I think that my ideal weight for my height should be like 165lbs. :roll:

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

It shows me at 26.1. But I've never really been a big fan of the BMI as the numbers don't compute for people who are in excellent shape and say your fine for people who are not. I'm not in excellent shape, but I'm in fair shape.

Any number of top notch athletes will show as overweight to obese due to muscle mass. I'm just under 6' tall weigh 190lbs and fit comfortably into 34" jeans but just barely fit into a size 44 suit jacket (which annoying comes with 38" pants if you aren't willing to spend a bunch of money on a suit).

Without taking into account body fat, resting heart rate and blood pressure I think the BMI scale is useless. My friends mother is 5'4" and 124lbs. But she has high colestorol, high blood pressure, an approaching 90 resting heart rate, thinks 5lb dumbels are way to heavy to exercise with and recieved quite the shock when she got on my mothers body fat scale which told her she was almost 40% fat.

However I also think a lot of people try and use the big bone structure or muscle mass argument who shouldn't. Who cares what your weight is and to a certain extent your body fat %, if your cholestoral, blood pressure and heart rate are all in check and 40 minutes of cardio doesn't destroy you.

4. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Actually, you need to add Obese. Alot of us can be "overweight" and not look fat (5lb - 10lb overweight), but obese is a whole different story.

5. Chris White

Chris White New Member

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Shoot! You're right I forgot to add "Obese" to poll and now iot won't let me..maybe a mod can add it for me??

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I agree, don't tell me you don't trust BMI because it says Shaq is overweight. If you're telling me you're 7'3" and solid muscle fine, but I've NEVER heard that argument from anyone who looks like Shaq.

8. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Obese added.

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Thanks!

10. RicP

RicP New Member

BMI is a crock, plain & simple.

When someone 6'4" 210lbs is called "overweight", it's fairly easy to dismiss. :)

11. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Yeah baby. i'm Obese! 33.2 DMI. 6' tall and 245 pounds. BMI is a pretty bad factor to determine whether or not you are overweight, as said before for people that are in good shape, or lift weights it's pretty bad. I do have a little to much fat on me but not what i would call obese. 36" waist but wear a 48R jacket. Was a powerlifter for a few years and put on a good amount of mass for that. I think i should be 165. That is never going to happen.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6'4" 203 and still hangin onto normal.

So those who now dismiss this what DO you trust to determine if you're "normal", "overweight" etc etc? Ya just wing it?

13. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Overweight! :( BMI of 26

"Why would you want to raise your body cholesterol?"

"So I can lower it."

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Consumer reports.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

16. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Overweight. :( BMI of 26.

17. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

I think there is too much focus on weight. Focus instead on resting heart rate, blood pressure and cholestorol level. And to a lesser extent body fat percentage. When all those are in check, I don't care what your height to weight ratio is, you're in good shape and at an appropriate weight.

18. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

BMI is saying I'm overweight...but I have a lot of muscle from years of sports and not a lot of fat...on a small frame (5'8")...thus I don't think my 165lbs is overweight.

19. 21, normal 8)

20. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

A doctor? Body fat percentage (reasonably measured). The general proportions of a person. Any indicator that just looks at height and weight is worthless, I can post up a picture of two people, both the same height and same weight (say 6' and 265lbs), one will be obese, the other one will be in the top 5% when it comes to health/fitness, yet a BMI will rate both of them obese.

Lance Armstrong is "overweight" according to the CDC BMI site as an example.