1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Where should I place the speakers?

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Saurav, May 12, 2007.

1. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I still need to buy 5 speakers for the HT side of things, and I think maybe I might actually buy them in a month or a week or something :) They will most likely be smaller bookshelves. Anyway:

[​IMG]

This is taken from the middle of the couch. The options I can think of:

* On the wall, to the sides of the screen, which will place them somewhat above the sitting position.

* On the wall, below the screen, out at the edges of the screen. Here my concern is that the baffles of the stereo speakers will block line-of-sight for the sides of the couch, and 99% of the time it's me and my wife watching movies, not just me sitting in the middle.

* On the cabinet, at the ends of the cabinet. This may look funny, and I'm not sure if it's a bad idea to have the distance between the front 3 speakers be so much smaller than the width of the screen. Is it important to have the speakers be as far apart as the image width?

And then for the back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The room has these diagonal walls, and that soffit-thingy that ends partway into the back wall. Should I place the surround speakers at the ends of the back wall, where the first angled wall meets it? That'll put them above and behind the couch. Or should I put them halfway on the angled wall... which would be above the window... or where that wall meets the next wall (i.e. above the lamp). And then the same thing for the other side.

And what size speakers do I need? The room is 13x15. Let's say I'm willing to cross to the sub a little higher than the recommended 80Hz. I'm thinking something with 6" woofers will certainly be enough, but what about 5.25"? 4"? 3"? I don't think "micro" speakers will work, and I'd probably be unhappy with the way they sound anyway. This isn't about WAF, she doesn't really care too much either way, but there are already 2 big speakers in the room, I don't want to have a room full of speakers, and I don't want to be hanging heavier speakers on the walls than I need to.

2. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Yes.

What's wrong with adding a center channel and surrounds to the mains you already have?

3. Saurav

Don't want to use the tube amp while playing games, want everything (as far as possible) to be remote controllable. And the most difficult part - I'd have to add a 3rd input to my linestage :)

OK, so that rules out putting the speakers on the TV stand. Any opinions on under the screen vs. beside the screen?

4. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I assume you've ruled out in walls?
    Or the new fangeld on walls?

THX says keep the tweeters at the same
    level or within 12" of each other.

So have you considered AV123 XLS white mini-monitors.
    Nice sound...good prices...easy to mount.
    Or are ya thinking DIY...like maybe Dayton RS150/rs28?
    Head on over to HTG. Callup Chris D.

How far are your Main 'stereo' pair fomr the screen
    it looks to be 6'. If so mount the the L & R to the sides
    and either mount the center just under the screen or place
    on the rack/chest/console....the interference from your 2
    main OB 'stereo' pair will be minimal in the big picture of
    things i.e., most of the action occurs from the Center channel
    and from the center of the screen. 150-165mm drivers will
    be adequate. Doncha wish you still had those Paradox 1
    now...three across the front woulda been nice right about
    now.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

My speakers are on wall, above ear level but angled down and I don't get any complaints. Carl has seen them but not hear them... [shrug]

6. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Score one for the ladies, my wife said your screen is too small...

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Whoa!!

I guess size does matter! 8)

8. Saurav

Carl: No in-wall, we painted the room and put new carpet in when we moved in, so I'm not cutting into that room just yet :lol: The Paradoxes would have been nice :) And no, I'm not really thinking about DIY... unless someone builds me boxes and routes the baffles. AV123, SVS, HTD... and there are cheaper options too, it really doesn't seem worth it to me to try DIY when I can buy 5 speakers for 500 bucks.

Chad: LOL!!! Well, that's the biggest screen one can build with a 4x8 sheet of material (it's about 97"), and I wasn't going to try anything more complex for my first screen :)

9. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Not to be obstinate, but let me ask one more question about using the existing speakers. I understand you have two systems and the speakers are connected to a tube system. Could you install a switch on each set of speaker wires to switch between the tube amp and the ht receiver?

10. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I always use the "View posts since last visit" and just now noticed this thread is in the Picture section (i.e., a section where members show pictures), so you may not be getting quite as many views as you should. Do you want me to move this to the Hardware Lounge?

11. Saurav

You could, I wasn't sure where to put it. I thought everyone used the 'View posts since last visit' button :)

OK, the main speakers are bi-amped. The upper and lower halves of the speakers have very different sensitivities, and they're driven by different amps (one tube, one SS) with very different gains. All of this is managed by a line level crossover. So, the only way to send a signal to those speakers is to send a line-level signal to the crossover. In other words, the speakers + 2 amps + crossover are essentially a single unit, the HT receiver (or any other amp) cannot directly drive those speakers. If I took a 4 channel amp (where all 4 channels have the same gain) and hooked it up to the upper/lower portions of the two speakers, the levels would be completely off.

12. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Yikes! That sounds complicated! I suppose a dedicated music room is out of the question? ;)

I recommend you take a look at the Magnepan MC and CC speakers. They would fit your space requirements, blend in nicely with what you already have, and they sound great. I don't know what their price is, so I apologize in advance if I'm recommending something that's radically different from what you're wanting to spend.

13. Saurav

I got the living room to put all my toys in. Trying to get a second room for myself as well would be pushing it ;) And besides, the only room in the house that would make a better music room (size, dimensions, layout) is the master bedroom.

I'll look into the Maggies, but that's probably more than I'm interested in spending.

14. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

You've seen my speakers and I have no complaints with the sound field. Mount the mains on the sides and you can toe-in and toe-down to get it perfect. I think you'll be happy with that; you're on your own with the surrounds though. Have you considered in-ceilings?

15. Here is my guess based on the info and pics.
    I'd probably put them to the left and right of the screen, about 2/3rds up the screen in height, and put the center channel under the screen and put the surrounds above the back window and above the door... AND, use fully articulating speaker mounts so you can adjust the aim and angle of the speaker until you get it almost perfect. In a room of that size, you will be able to get wholly satisfactory volume with speakers small enough to mount that way.

Good Luck.

16. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, you *can.* The question is would you end up with something you really wanted to use?

On-wall for front 3, side surrounds on stands and rear surrounds mounted to back wall or in ceiling. And where's your sub going?

17. Saurav

The sub is behind the right front speaker. Can't you see it? ;) It's an NHT1259 in a sealed cabinet from Madisound. I'm not sure that's the best spot, but it looked funny next to the TV stand (that's were it used to be). I don't know if a sub cares about having a speaker cabinet 1' in front of it. I'd think not, since downfiring subs have a few inches between the driver and the floor.

Probably. I just spent a few hours looking at $250 / 5 speakers options, and decided that that probably wasn't worth it. My last set of HT speakers cost me $40 for all 5, and I was quite happy with those :)

18. You are talking 5.1 and not 7.1 right? Otherwise, I'd recommend you move the couch forward a bit for the center rears...

What are you planning to drive these HT speakers with? (sorry if I missed that in the thread)

I know alot of folks will disagree with me on this, but if you are not going to use these speakers for music listening, I think you can do just fine with finding 5 speakers for cheap. I haven't watched many movies(or listened to their soundtracks) where I found myself thinking I wished my speakers sounded better. ;)
    Since you have an NHT sub, how bout a 5 set of NHT super zeros?

19. Saurav

Yes, 5.1, movies only, and the receiver is some old RCA receiver that I bought off of someone on some forum a long time ago. I think it does DD and DTS. I don't really see the point of 7.1 in a room this size. And that would need a new receiver too :)

I'm glad someone agrees with my speaker purchase direction :) There are some pretty decent options out there in the $200/pr range, IMO. At least, they get decent reviews. I was also looking in the $100/pr range... Infinity, Boston Acoustics, JBL, Polk, that kind of stuff. And I guess someone bought the Acoustic Research name and is now making speakers too. And I guess NHT/Paradigm/etc. would be a step up from that right.

20. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member