1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Where to sell?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Tyson, May 21, 2007.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I am going to be walking around the house and deciding on what is not used anymore so that I can get rid of some stuff and maybe make a buck or two while I'm at it. It's been a long time coming. We have too much stuff!

Is there anyone here adept at selling online? Is Ebay the way to go? Craig's list?

What do you all know about fees and such?

I've got an account set up at ebay and my paypal is ready to go, too, but thought I would ask in case there are better options for ebay.

DVD's are going to be part of what I'm getting rid of. Mostly my movies, because my wife rewatches a lot more than I do.

After that I've got some older things like some electronics here and there, and anything else I can find that I think people might be willing to spend a few bucks on.

Thanks in advance.

Tyson

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I'd go with Ebay...we've sold a ton of stuff and 99% of the time it's worth it. It's a pretty well oiled machine now..sell item, print a USPS label from the site, get money from customer via Paypal pretty quickly..ship item...done....the list of pro's to go Ebay goes on.

Craigslist is to me a waste, you have no safety net to avoid scammers, you may end up meeting nutjobs if you have it set up as local pickup...they may not even pay...way too many troubles to list..I'd avoid Craigslist.

3. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Thanks, Alfer.

Print a USPS label from Ebay?

Also, do you have a default selling page already set up for most items that you sell?

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

I've had too many issues with ebay. 3 attempts to sell, 3 failures. I got bids, and when it came down to having the seller issue funds, they all became silent.

Most of the time anymore I donate stuff and take the tax credit. For audio equipment you could try here or audiogon depending on what it is.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Tyson, I have used both Craigs and eBay for years with very few issues. I have found that CraigsList is better for larger items you don't want to ship and EBay is better for items that are easy to ship.

6. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Well I may try to sell a few items here. I do have some non mainstream DVD titles that some here may want. Discs that only I have handled will be for the most part spotless. Like new. I even have a few still sealed. I've got some Criterions that I was thinking of getting rid of, too.

I may try Craig's list to see what happens since David said he has had no problems. No one has said they've experienced any real problems there. Ebay has that status in this thread so far from Shane.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

My wife. myself and many friends have sold a LOT (and bought too) on Ebay and like I said VERY rarely is there an issue...plus now PayPal has protection against fraud and can cover your losses in many cases.

Yes you can print out a prepaid, barcoded USPS label and tape it to the box and you're good to go...very easy....

My wife built an HTML template she uses to sell most of her stuff...me I just type it all in...however be sure to download the free Ebay Turbolister software...it makes listing SO SO easy...it practically walks you through every step.

Just be sure you spell things out clearly and list your "terms and conditions" on the page..tell the buyers that if they don't agree to them, please don't bid/buy.

If I were you I'd stick to Ebay...much safer for both you and the buyer.

FYI...unless you donate a TON of stuff these days, there really isn't much benefit anymore as far as tax write offs...they changed the rules last year I think....we used to always give stuff to Goodwill and get the tax receipt from it, but now Uncle Sam changed the rules and we end up giving more stuff to friends if we don[t want it anymore.

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

p.s. Make sure you use a Yahoo or Gmail address for Craiglist to keep things as anonymous as possible, and to help keep all the crazies from emailing you with their "offers" on your main home email addy.

9. cjd

cjd New Member

We just Freecycled a couch. Worked out great.

Local church'll be putting it in the kids corner to be trashed and abused. :)

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Someone always has to have a bad experience with eBay but I never have (never with audiogon either). I would tend to look there first. I've never setup any kind of pre-formatted sale, I just click through the questions and post it. I know people who make side income off eBay usually use programs to create, post and monitor ads, but those aren't free in most cases.

11. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I've been getting into Ebay lately, buying and selling and haven't had a problem. On other sites I have had issues, I posted a while back about selling speakers online and the guy returning them. I'd say eBay is a bit safer.

Set up some of your auctions to run at the same time. So you can minimze trips to the post office and stuff like that, by doing multiple items at once.

12. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Good idea, Chris.

I was going to do a trial run on Ebay with a DVD today if I can find the time. Brought the DVD with me to work even though I'm sure I'd be able to find all the information for it online.

Thanks guys for all the input.

Tyson

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

If you want to get all your auctions to run at the same time, you for sure need to download Ebays listing software (free) "Turbo Lister".

You can create one auction and duplicate it numerous times and never have to fill out any data..saves a lot of time..then you can upload all autcions at one time..or schedule them to start at a specific time.

I'm really thankfully Ebay created Turbo Lister..it's a great tool.

14. I sell it on my favorite associated forums or on Ebay... although a head unit I recently sold on Ebay for $610 just had the buyer back out with some idiotic excuse.... :(

15. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I'd go Ebay...they've built in so many safety measure's there now...they also have a "forum" section for specific question you can ask there as well...tips, tricks, warnings etc.

...there's also the option of a good ol' fashioned yard sale! :)

Or perhaps go to a local flea market.

Jason