1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Which format do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Michael, May 9, 2007.

?

Which format do you prefer?

1. HD DVD

100.0%
  2. Blu-Ray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No preference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Let's get things rolling by seeing the general feel of the new forum.

I have a prediction about how this is going to turn out.... :D

2. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Blu, just like before :wink:

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I no longer have a preference. One thing I hadn't posted recently because I seem to be in the minority is that I'm still having horrible and consistent problems with HD-DVDs locking up (temporarily or terminally). I hope the scratch proof coating on BDs is working...

4. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Waiting for the Sammy combo player.

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

There needs to be a "Waiting for Universal" option. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the people voting "No Preference" really mean. It's what I meant. :D

6. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Yeah, perhaps specifying you can only vote if you own both formats?

Graeme

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Nah...

The goal was not to get a "what do you own" thread going. More to gauge the temperature of HTL. Looks like the vast majority have no preference.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Which is interesting considering the tone of the place most of us came from. I hope this is a sign that people are willing and able to drop their old biases and be more open but my glasses may be a little too rose colored.

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I think it has more to do with who is not (and will likely not) come over.

10. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I have a HD DVD player, but haven't compared it to Blu. Maybe later this year.....if I'm a good boy and Santa brings me something nice.

11. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

As i said many times on HTT, I could not care less which format wins or why. All I want is high-definition media I can rent and view in my home. If it means there are two competing formats forever then so be it.

12. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Hopefully Santa is extremely nice this year. ~PS3~

13. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

That's pretty much my take on it too. I have the HD-DVD add-on player and would probably prefer it to win because I have a small investment in it, but really I'd rather the format wars be over. :)

14. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

I agree, except that I want only one format since I tend to purchase more than rent.

15. Steve Tillman

Steve Tillman New Member

One format, fully functional without glitches would be good.

16. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I picked HD-DVD, only because I already own a player.

You attribute this to scratched rentals from Netflix, right? (I don't mean to imply that it is OK that they skip because they are rentals).

17. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I have no preference and am trying to decide which format to go with. There seem to be plusses and minuses of both, and neither format jumps out at me as being clearly superior (if someone can refute that, please do so). As such, I might just flip a coin.

18. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

My position remains the same, I won't buy in until either: A) one format wins or B) a good universal player that supports all the capabilities of both formats hits the market at a reasonable price.

FWIW, I'm betting B) happens before A).

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

After owning both formats I prefer Blu Ray now but it wouldn't hurt me if HD DVD won.

In the end I don't care who wins as long as it's someone.

In either case(someone winning) or noone winning, we as the consumer win and I'm already in the game. I'm covered regardless of the situation.

20. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

There is already a universal player on the market - an LG.

Stefan