1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Who else is a "Hypermiler"?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Alfer, May 11, 2007.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Local news had a story about these guys who are taking extreme driving measures to save gas...some of the things they do seem dangerous to me (shutting off car and coasting to stops) and some seem like they will wear out parts on your car..such as the starter etc.

Story with video of them:

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=126884

2. cjd

cjd New Member

Hmm, my wife's car does all that automatically...

3. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Just cut a hole in the floorboard and use your feet (Flintstone's style) to save gas. :)

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

You're wife's car drives outside the ruts when it rains automatically! WOW! :p :lol:

5. When I first got married, we used to have a car like that. Problem was, that we lived in PA at the time and it was bad during the winter. Everytime you drove the car, the piece of plywood we laid over the hole in the metal floor kept moving and sooner or later snow and nasty slush would pile up on your lap.... :shock: :D

6. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

In order to increase mileage I make the kids get out and push. You should see how strong their little legs are getting!!

7. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I save fuel by only using my breaks if required to avoid a collision or run off the road. Using your breaks just wastes the gasoline that's already been used to get the car moving in the first place. The only drawback I've noticed so far is all the tickets I've received for running red lights.

8. cjd

cjd New Member

What? I was only responding to the "shuts off and coasts" parts.

:p

54mpg average last I heard...

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I know, silly.

10. cjd

cjd New Member

I know you knew, but I gotta keep up my post count somehow :p

11. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

not me

12. I'm doing my part by making my kids take the bus to and from school instead of driving them myself. :)

13. Chris White

Chris White New Member

On days I work at home, Janis goes shopping in my 325 instead of the X3 since it gets better mileage. Does that count? :)

14. Tom R S 4

Having driven X3s and 3 series, I wouldn't be so sure that the reason she drives the 325 is because of the better gas mileage. :wink:

15. Chris White

Chris White New Member

The 325 is more fun to drive, but she much prefers the X3 for the better visibility.

16. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Which in BMW speak means that people can see you are driving a BMW from further away. :)

17. cjd

cjd New Member

Visibility is not better. You can see over smaller cars or be on parity with other bigger vehicles, but you can only see a little bit more of what's around you, relatively speaking. Visibility is worse up close.

Up close is where it matters most.

Up ahead is useful, but driver habit (i.e. how far do you actually look) plays a bigger role. Being up higher doesn't significantly change how far ahead a driver can watch.

:)

In other words, it's mostly psychological.

C

18. Tom R S 4

If that's the goal, I can think of better ways. That she prefers the X3 isn't that surprising - It is a chick car.

19. :lol:

20. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

um, not sure of your logic