1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Who knew how dangerous gardening could be...

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by cjd, Jun 17, 2007.

1. cjd

cjd New Member

Went out to pick this:

IMG_1562.jpg

And had a fun little run-in with this:

IMG_1561.jpg

This pic snapped when it was resting on the play structure across my neighbor's yard. It was on our patio, then our fence (I got one blurry pic and tripped on a shovel scaring it away). But it actually swooped over and was about two feet away, above us, when we went to open the strawberry netting - there was a sparrow trapped underneath it making that hawk very interested.

That's just today's take on the berries by the way. ;)

For those interested: Canon 30D, Sigma 70-200 + Sigma 2x TC @ 400mm ISO400@f8. VERY hastily yanked out of my bag and assembled. :)

C

2. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

Hey - great capture. I have been working on trying to get a good shot of a little hummingbird that keeps coming by. I have gotten lots of shots, but not too many keepers. This one really posed for you!

Stefan

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Nice photo! And some great looking strawberries too.

4. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Nice strawberries. We picked the first batch of cherries off our tree yesterday. Now all I need is some icecream :)

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes, nice looking berries and bird.

Now if the hawk had eaten the bird eating your berries...

:D

6. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Back when I used to work on the oil tankers that run from Alaska to the west coast, we had a hawk join us on the way out to sea from port angeles, Washington. It stayed with us all the way to alaska. The cook tossed out raw meat every day for it. It was pretty neat. I'll try to dig the pictures up.

7. cjd

cjd New Member

In case anyone is curious:

It's a not-quite-fully-grown (but not juvenile) Cooper's Hawk.

Eyes will darken up to a nice red over the next few months, but the feather markings are those of an adult.

They specialize in birds. Able to turn on a dime, or something close (I witnessed a very sharp turn, in fact) - normally they hunt in the woods below the canopy...

C

8. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Beautiful picture! Especially with the F8 at 400mm. Free hand or were you using a tripod?

9. cjd

cjd New Member

Lens was rested on m fence. 1/120 - a little slow, but I haven't had time to get behind the lens in so long. Forget all the little nuances. :)

C