Why is it that more people don't chose FP?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by NathanP, May 31, 2007.

1. NathanP

NathanP New Member

With affordable and pretty decent DLP's around $500, why don't most people just go FP? It's WAY cheaper than even a 48" RPTV.

What I'm mostly surprised is the amount of HT experts themselves who do not even have FP. Am I missing something here? these are the guys who know everything about tweaking and getting the most out of something, the should have a problem with an FP leeast of all.

How much does an HDTV capable FP cost?

2. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Ambient light is a big thing I think. If you don't have a dedicated, windowless theater, or at least some way to cut out most of the light during the day, the enthusiast may not be too happy with a diminished picture due to outside light coming in.

It can get very expensive if done right, after you factor in the cost of a projector (which can vary widely), screen (same), and cabling (same).

Sometimes to get the same quality of a really good set, one might have to spend quite a bit of money.

I guess it depends on how picky one is.

Those are a few of the things I can think of, but I have one so it never stopped me.

:)

3. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I used to wonder the same thing. I agree with Tyson that lighting is a big issue. Even with my HP screen I still prefer a dark room before watching anything. Also, I would not want to watch on a screen that size all of the time mainly because unless you watch HD material all of the time, which I don't the PQ really suffers. Blow that up over 119" and it is horrible and very hard to watch. I have a 32" tube tv that I think is just about perfect for regular tv viewing. I am thinking about going with an LCD / DLP in the not too distant future but will probably not go much larger (32" 4:3 translates to around 42" 16:9)

Another reason, people just think its too expensive. I have told several people that I have FP and a 10" diag. screen and they think I must be rich, little do they know my Z3 projector, 119" HP screen and most recently my A2 HD player only cost around $2200 total.

4. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'd love a FP, but I don't have the room for it. Also, if you only have one main TV for both movie and TV watching, I find a really large FP to be tiresome when just watching TV.

5. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

This is where I am at, though once this tv goes I may go cheap smaller LCD for tv and FP for movies/gaming.

6. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I agree with Mike and Chris. I watch probably 90% of my TV on my old 50 inch Toshiba and only pull down the screen for movies, gaming, and HD TV shows that I really, really like (Heroes for example).

Heck, I'd say that even with gaming I'm only on the PJ about 50-60% of the time.

As for the other reasons, ambient light would definitely have to be the #1 reason that more people don't have them.

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

With me it's ambient light, followed by the fact that my house doesn't have a room suitable for a dedicated theater. All the HT stuff is in the living/dining area. The living room has a whole wall of large windows, and I just could not block all that light. In addition, the RPTV is backed up against my fireplace with speakers on either side. Haven't used the fireplace since '93. Been thinking of taking it out. Then building some sort of HT wall. Don't know yet. Trying to get my IB sub built. Actually did cut the drywall out in the garage the other day. Hopefully soon.

8. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Ambient light, not owning my own house, moving every two years, etc, etc.

9. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Where my TV is right now (loft area above the family room) there just isn't enough distance between the seats and the screen. Having looked at the options, the fact that wall to wall that room is only 11 feet long just doesn't provide enough distance even for the shortest throw projectors (considering the actual front of the projector will not be at the back wall).

Only once I finish the basement will I be able to do it (where I have a 20 x 35 open space with no pillars/poles).

Graeme

10. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

The FP is way more portable than an RPTV, so I'm surprised too that more people don't go FP (even for renters). Ambient light/window treatment must be the main reason for most people.

We're lucky I guess to have an attic space that didn't require anything but to plug one window where we put the screen - other windows are 60+ feet back so we live with some ambient light, but its main use is for movies at night.

11. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Yeah baby! Go Randy! Go Randy! :D

Time to start making some sawdust; I assume you have everything all planned out, RIGHT? Prior planning prevents poor performance :wink:

12. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

I'm a renter and have been a FP guy for quite a few years now, quick and easy to move, pick the right mount and you leave minimal damage behind.

The big thing for me is light control, for a good portion of the day one can't view anything unless it's a very bright sporting event, otherwise the picture washes out enough that you can't see it.

I had a setup that wasn't much different than that, maybe a little more. Still gave a nice mid eighty-ish inch screen, nice and bright for most viewing.

13. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Add: Wiring & electrical for the PJ.

My order is:
    1 - Wiring & Elec
    2 - Ambient Light
    3 - Still want large image for daytime use (73")
    It just about takes a 73" widescreen to display a 4:3 image the same size as a 60" 4:3 set. So I still need a RPTV as the primary. That forces a pull down screen that will also need to be mounted 2 feet forward of the front wall.

14. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

All very good reasons above. One other perhaps minor point, but one that should be added is the cost of lamps. While lamp life has gotten much better in recent years, they are still somewhat expensive and dropping $300 to $600 every couple thousand hours on a new lamp is a barrier for some folks, especially those who only have one system to use for all watching.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Very good point.

For me it's too much trouble to wire everything up, plus the room is too bright to use it daily.

16. Graeme

Nope -- given the dimension of the room and the furthest back I could put the projector, ends up being 9 feet from projector to screen. Find me a decent 1080P (at this point I will not buy anything but 1080P to replace my current display) that does a decent sized screen at 9 feet. The last search at projector central I did resulted in zero hits.

Worse than that, where it would actually end up being (because I don't envision being able to actually mount it against the wall) it would end up being more like 7 feet (because of the way the ceiling is).

Graeme

17. DYohn

Graeme, the Epson 1080P projectors should do about 90" diag @ 9' throw. But yea, not too much to choose from @ 7' unless you adopt a custom lens.

18. Graeme

David,

Not sure where you are getting your info from. The projector central calculator shows:
    Epson Home Cinema 1080p @ 9' = 72" screen max
    Epson Pro Cinema 1080p @ 9' = 43" screen max

Unless there is another projector you are referring to, or perhaps PC's calculator is incorrect?

Graeme

19. DYohn

According to THIS one, the zoom can get you to 92" at 9'.

20. Graeme

Me = idiot for not using the calculator correctly.

Hmm...now if only I could somehow mount it to the back wall. Unfortunately, it just won't work without taking down the paintings we currently have there right now (and finishing my basement would be easier than convincing someone those paintings don't need to be there...)

Graeme