Win 10 Anniversary

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by John Celardo, Mar 1, 2017.

1. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

As I mentioned in Yikes! my laptop has been stalling when I kept attempting to install the Anniversary 1607 update. I've been trying for a few weeks and the result was always the same. After a couple of hours of downloading and installing the screen would go black at about 70% complete and the dreaded spinning wheel at the bottom of the screen showed up. I did hard resets and the software would reinstall the old Win 10. Last night I googled the problem and found a few Microsoft pages that offered fixes for my problem. I'm not the only one . Their advice was patience. Fortunately I kept reading. I found a non-Microsoft Web site that offered the same fix, but the discussion at the end of the page gave the real fix. Several people said the problem didn't go away until they removed their Logitech wireless mouse USB transmitter. I use a Logitech wireless mouse. I pulled the transmitter and the update completed. It's a huge update so it takes a long time to complete, but nowhere did Microsoft mention USB dongles.

Any of you have trouble with this upgrade?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

With no intent to start a holy war, that sounds like the Windows I knew and hated and finally dumped. What a joke. Sorry you had such problems. It was nightmare updating my Dad's admittedly aging laptop. The update would fail inconsistently so I'm not sure what it was but starting over required re-downloading the update over my parents internet in RURAL IOWA. I almost broke the laptop in half.

3. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Update on my Surface Pro 3 was uneventful. But it broke the scanner function for my Brother printer. Did not realize it until I tried to scan something. Required re-installation of the printer to resolve the problem.

4. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Update sucked on one of my computers (was fine on most of them.)

Apparently the drivers NVidia had installed caused problems with the anniversary update which in turn caused problems with starting up the start menu and search (who knows why.) Took a while to figure out that I had to uninstall or reinstall video drivers.

Never have to do that with my Macs. But I need both so I figure it out.

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

John, does your Logitech wireless system work now? Mine stopped working after the previous update.

6. John Celardo

Dan, I assume your asking about the wireless mouse. As soon as the update successfully ended I plugged the USB transmitter in and the mouse worked perfectly.

My friend the tech guy here at work suggested a disk cleanup so I'm going to do that tonight.

7. John Celardo

After all the hassle of getting Anniversary to work, my hard drive crashed a couple of weeks ago. The home screen appeared but nothing worked. I pulled the drive out and did a disk analysis through USB to my spare Vista laptop. Got the dreaded drive failure error code. I did my complicated taxes on the laptop, but didn't file it before the crash. Despite the error code, I was able to see all my files, including the taxes. I was able to copy them to the Vista machine. I ordered a new Asus 17" laptop with a 256 gig solid state drive. Wow, what a difference. The new machine boots in a flash, stays cool so you can actually put it on your lap, and software and Web pages load instantly. It doesn't have an optical drive, but I got a USB CD writer, and loaded all the software I needed. Taxes checked and filed on time.

Advice from you tech geniuses please? Is it possible to get a SSD for the old laptop and reinstall Win 10, and how would this work? It has an I3 processor, so I feel badly about just tossing it.

8. capsuleri

John C, I had done exactly the same on my HP i5 laptop, replaced the HD with a 256Gb SSD. No problems whatsoever. It was literally plug and play. The current owner of the machine reports its working trouble free. It also helped a little on the battery.

Another way to speed up start up is to disable or delay less important programs at start up. It can be done through start up manager.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. John Celardo

Thanks for the reply Cap. How do you get the operating system like Win 10 onto the new SSD so the laptop can boot? That's the part I don't understand.

10. capsuleri

This link may help -
    Download Windows 10

Suggest create the tool on a thumb drive 8Gb or larger. Turn on the machine with after new SSD install, with the thumb drive already in, it should point to the thumb drive. If not you have to go to the BIOS to make it. I think you can get to the BIOS in most machines by pressing F8 as you turn on the machine.

You will need the win 10 license number from the old installation to complete the process. You may need to contact Microsoft to tranfer the license to the new SSD.

11. John Celardo

Thanks for the information Cap. I read a few Web sites about restoring after a crash, and it seems I'm not alone. I did make a rescue disk when I got the machine, so I may be able to boot off that. As a spare machine I might just stick with Win 7 rather than go through the terror of reloading 10. Thanks again for the great advice.

12. capsuleri

You can also download win 7 from the same link above you will need the win 7 license to download, you can download it from Cnet site too.