1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Wisdom teeth out: Ouch!

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Shane, May 21, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Wild weekend for me.

Tuesday night: It's 11pm and I'm headed to bed when I get a searing headache that I've never experienced before. I try pain pills, tylenol etc and nothing helps. At about 4am, I go to bed as it finally subsided. I told myself that I think it's teeth related.

Wednesday I wake up tired but feeling better. About 10am I get the same pain and can't function. I call the doctor who can't get me in until 3:30 so I make a quick call to my dentist and he gets me in real quick. After a 360 degree scan of my teeth he delivers the good news and bad news. Good news is I get drugs to fix the problem, bad news is I have an infected tooth that needs taken out and 2 of my wisdom teeth are impacted and need to be yanked. I schedule an oral surgery appt for Thursday morning and off I go to the store.

Drugs do the trick but made me completely loopy for the rest of the day.

Thursday rolls around and after I registered for my surgery online(it's a fancy place..), I pay the estimated fee($375), and go under the knife after being put under.

I ended up sleeping for almost 30 hrs as I was completely wiped.

I'm still sore but the pain is gone(except soreness) and a bit of swelling.

I don't wish this pain on ANYBODY.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I feel your pain son...I had all four wisdom's yanked years ago and it wasn't too fun...be sure to keep the tooth sockets cleaned out etc to avoid infection..I had a bone chip left in one of mine and it got infected...ouch!

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Sorry for your ordeal Shane; glad you're on the mend.

4. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Are you unable to offer any wisdom anymore?

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

Don't eat yellow snow.

6. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Yellow snow might take the sting out.... Works for artic jellyfish stings. ;)

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

8. Stefan

Stefan New Member War Zone Member

Yeah - that's a painful ordeal. Before I had my bottom 2 taken out, I never experienced the intense pain you had. Just a dull pain every now and then. After they took them out, it hurt for about 4 days, but I never took the prescribed percocet - stupidly. As far as the surgery, I stayed awake, but obviously with novacaine and plenty of nitrous :). I love that stuff.

Stefan

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I had my wisdoms pulled in college but they were not impacted. It still sucked but the vicoden made it suck a LOT less...

10. Joe Q

Joe Q Member War Zone Member

I feel your pain. Actually, not really. I just had all four removed last month (I'm over 40!) and was surprised at the lack of pain. I was paranoid, however, of developing dry socket and rinsed religiously. Only minor problem I have is an occasional sliver of sharp bone rising to the gum line in one of the bottom sockets. Other than that, I'm about 99% fully healed.

Remember to rinse!

11. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Maybe you're changing ...

slither2.jpg

12. Joe Q

Joe Q Member War Zone Member

Oh, I am, I am. But not physically. I've now noticed I really enjoy watching Bob the Builder and other high brow TV dramas, as well as reading my daughter's old kindergarten starter books, the one's where you enunciate out loud.

13. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I think I can top that - 2 or 3 years ago, on the recommendation of my dentist I had all 4 wisdom teeth PLUS 3 other impacted teeth. Seven in total, in one shot... I also had a one socket get infected from a bone fragment or something left in there. Good times.

14. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Been there, had the drugs. You have my sympathy.