1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

WLAN questions

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Saurav, May 28, 2007.

1. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Currently everything I have is running 802.11b and WEP. The new PC can do G and WPA. If I were to get a G router:

* Can it simultaneously talk G to the new computer and B to the old computers?

* Ditto for WPA and WEP?

Basically, if I get a G router, do I need to switch all my wireless devices to G, or can I use a mix of B and G, and upgrade them slowly?

I believe WPA is better than WEP. What are the advantages of G over B? I think the cable modem speed will be lower than either, right. I don't do much transfers within the house. Though if I set up a PC as a music server or something then it might make a difference.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'm not sure on the 2nd question but you can use both B and G at the same time.

3. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Not all (but nearly all) G equipment is B compliant, but it will say it on the box.

If the new box has WPA it should also do WEP, but it can't do both at the same time, WPA is much more secure.

As for G vs B, it's mostly in the speed department, G supports 54Mbps while B is only 11Mbps. For music, either should be fine although more bandwidth is always a good thing.

4. Saurav

Well, then I'll have to stick with WEP, since only one PC (out of the 4 wireless devices I have) supports WPA. I was wondering if it could use different encryption on different connections. And switch/convert on the fly. Guess that's asking too much :)

5. cjd

cjd New Member

WEP isn't worth much. ;) Will keep the slightly bored neighbor kid away, but not the *really* bored neighbor kid.

It's too bad, really. Ahh well.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

While WEP isn't technically that secure there's normally lots of open networks to hack into so any security is normally enough to keep people at bay.

7. Saurav

Well, yes, WEP's now a textbook case for what happens when software developers think they understand cryptography. Anyway, my options are WEP all around, WPA on one device and turn off the other 3 devices, or upgrade 1 PC, 1 laptop and 1 bridge. I'll take WEP for now :)

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

MAC filtering....

9. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Kinda-sorta-not-really. ;)

You can take a look at the device makers web site and see if there are any firmware updates to the devices you use, unless the piece is really old (well in computer-speak anyway) there may be an updated firmware which will support WPA.

Edit to add;
    Is sort of like locking the doors on my convertible...with the top down ;)

If somebody is smart enough and wants to get past your WEP security MAC filtering will add about 10 seconds or so to their workflow on getting in ;)

10. Saurav

OK. That's how I'd seen it described in a few articles when I was looking into crypto algorithms for a project. It's not something I care enough about to dispute :)

Firmware updates... good idea, I hadn't thought about that. All of my wireless stuff is 4-5 years old, which is pretty old IMO, but it's worth checking.

11. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

I'm not saying the statement wrong so much, just that it's over-simplified. ;)

WPA hit the market around 2003/2004 time frame, and a lot of equipment makers were under pressure to work around it, so you may be suprised.