Woot! Paramount going lossless!

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Blu Ray gets PCM
    HD DVD gets True HD
    Now we need to find out if Paramount is going to use Dial norm like Warner or if they plan to get rid of that nasty stuff like Sony.

Rumors are also circulating about Top Gun and Saturday Night Fever will also get the same treatment.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

Insiders at Paramount are now saying that Top Gun and the Jack Ryan collection will also feature lossless.

24 bit pcm on the BD, 24 bit true HD on the HD DVD.

Yummy!

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Damn!

I may have to buy the Top Gun release!

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I bet Larry is shaking in his hat right now.

- Steve

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

New details are leaking out on Blades of Glory which is the first lossless Paramount title.

The BR disc will have PCM but it appears the True HD track was dropped on HD DVD :(. Paramount said they would drop any advanced audio if space became a concern. I guess here is an example..
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64972

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

If the issue is due to space, I wonder if this is going to become an issue with other titles and for what reasons. I was thinking about this with the rumor that the LotR movies will not be extended editions. I wonder if there are space issues there? The Last Samurai was over 27 GB on HD-DVD and is almost an entire HOUR shorter than The Fellowship...

7. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

I thought the new discs will provide more room. 50gb or more should be the solution.

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

But HD-DVD only has 30, which means a title like Last Samurai was pushing the limit at 27GB, imagine an extra hour of HD video and high bitrate audio.

9. Colton

Didn't HD-DVD mention a bigger capacity? I seem to recall them talking about 50gb or greater discs. Are these not readily available?

Ahh. Just looked it up on Wiki. HD-DVD is max'd out at 30gb (dual-layer) where Blu-Ray is 50gb (dual-layer). OUCH!

If HD-DVD doesn't get more capacity - they should start waving that white flag.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Well, its still speculation that space is a problem, but look at the numbers. If a 2.5 hour movie takes 27GB of space and we're talking about a 3.4 hour movie, are you going to drop the bitrate or split the movie?

11. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I thought that the 3 layer HD-DVD (51GB) spec was being finalized, with it being questionable which gen players will support it (gen 2 seems likely)?

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

John is correct. They developed a 51 gig disc but there is quite a bit of uncertainty about how many HD DVD players could play the disc.

Regarding LOTR, Michael and I still have a side bet on if LOTR will be released on less discs on BR than HD DVD.

Realistically space is only a concern on the longer movies. The vast majority of films will be fine on a properly mastered 30 gig disc.

13. Colton

I agree. I can see a two-disc version of LOTR on HD-DVD where the movie is split in half, but Blu-Ray will have the complete movie on one disc. Guess which one I'd buy ... :)

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

The one kink is: Because LOTR EE has a side break built in, they may want to keep it that way and release it on 2 disc sets for both. It's not unlikely.

In either scenario, we win because we get LOTR in HD :)

15. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Right...

The issue is space on a 93 minute comedy, when an action movie an hour longer had no problems having reference video and lossless audio on HD DVD. Come on folks.

16. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

They shouldn't have to split the theatrical versions, Warner's produced amazing-looking single HD DVDs of Grand Prix and Mutiny on the Bounty, they both run over 3 hours and have extras.

The extended versions have built-in intermissions, so splitting them makes sense.

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

Since Paramount stated if space became an issue, they'd wack the Lossless track. What other explanation can you come up with why they dropped the Lossless audio track on HD DVD?

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

:roll:

It is a 90 minute comedy. I am sorry, but I cannot take you seriously if you are saying that a 90 minute comedy is space constrained on HD DVD when there are plenty of examples of much longer movies, with great action, lossless audio and IME performing exceedingly well on HD DVD. And that is with early versions of the video codecs.

And I know that you don't think that all decisions for the next gen formats are made on technical merits.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=880987

Looks like space is an issue afterall. The HD extras is what is taking it all up.
    It sucks personally because both formats should get equal treatment if your are a studio and "neutral".

In other news, Top Gun is getting PCM 5.1 (on BR) and Dolby True HD on HD however they are not using the same extras on the SE that was recently released. These are bare bones releases.

Also Face Off is getting more extras on the BD version. Again sucky :(
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64762