1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Would you buy SD content on Blu/HD?

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 27, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I don't typically watch TV on DVD so I have no idea how many discs are required to contain a season but if one of the HD formats takes off would you be interested in seeing SD content released on one of the new formats just because it might fit on one disc or would you consider this a gimmick that doesn't really impact you?

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I've never gotten into buying TV shows on DVD..so if a day comes that we have a new format, I doubt I'd invest in TV shows then either...I just use my DVR to save stuff I like and if I need to watch something again I just play it back whenever I'm in the mood.

Honestly the only show I like to save for repeat viewing is The Office.

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Rent, yes. Buy, no.

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I could see doing this provided that if I got new shows that had been shot 16x9 for HD were released widescreen. Still I think I would prefer just getting them in HD.

Max

5. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Once it takes off, sure.

How many "TV" shows truely are SD and wouldn't gain from an HD transfer? I thought most TV shows were shot on film, so they would benefit from HD? If a TV show would benefit from HD, I would rather not "settle" for SD.

It might also be interesting to see how good some of this SD content could look when using one of the new codecs (or a high bit rate MPEG2). I've watched Friends, Seinfeld, and The Office on DVD, and only The Office looked relatively good to me. I'm not sure if it is a bad source/master for Friends/Seinfeld, or poor compression.

-John

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yes

if a TV show was shot on film, they can make a Hi Def master from it and the result will be HD. Remember that film has infinite more resolution than HD has right now.

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

No interest.

They can already fit several episodes on a single DVD. If they are going to put a TV show on HD DVD or BD, then make it HD.

8. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Well kinda sorta, keep in mind that pretty much every TV show is shot framed for 4:3 aspect ratio (before HD TV shows became popular), so they could get a high-rez transfer off the print, but it won't be at a 1920x1080 resolution, well unless they Pan and Scan it (but in a reverse from the norm) and re-frame it for 16:9.

Of the couple shows I've bought it depends, but figure 4 hour-long episodes per DVD with a full TV season being 22'ish episodes. With extras and menus you're probably not getting a season on a dual layer BD. 30 minute shows shouldn't be a problem.

Personally though, I can't really stand to sit and watch more than 4 hours of TV shows at a time anyway, and even if I could, I'd have to get up before then to hit the bathroom/raid the fridge before those 4 hours was up anyway and can manage a disc change then.

Give me HD and multiple discs!

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Many new TV shows are being shot on HD cameras and some older ones were shot on film so they could all probably look better in HD.

10. cjd

cjd New Member

Sure. One disc vs twenty?

I'd like to see it in HD if it's available that way, but older shows may not actually exist in that format.

11. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

No, it would be 1440x1080. What's this got to do with anything?

12. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

The problem with this is that - yes - they were shot on film, which gives a superior source to work from, but they weren't necessarily designed to be shown in HD resolution and certainly not on a large screen. Most TV shows up until the mid-80s weren't ever designed to show on anything bigger than a 25" color console TV using over-the-air broadcast. I've seen many original 35mm network prints of TV shows from the 50s and 60s (Twilight Zone, Get Smart, Honeymooners, Batman, Abbott & Costello) and they do look very good blown up large, but you can see the defects in the production more readily: sloppy make-up, cheap sets, et al. So, I wouldn't automatically assume that just because it was shot on film that it would be a good candidate for HD release.

13. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

The only TV series that I have that I bought was the first season of Buffy... 4 discs... didn't bother me to have to change discs...but it would be nice to have one disc...but not really important.

That said...if they do do it...HD is the way to go...(edit) but only if the price is reasonable. TV series sets are some of the most expensive DVD's to purchase...thus my fear is that on HD they would be astronomical...the unit price has to justify the transition to HD.