1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Would you go?

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by Alfer, May 25, 2007.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

...to a concert by a popular older group knowing that none of the members are from the orginal band/group..or maybe there's just one member still alive and playing with the group?

I mean I hear radio ad's all the time touting that "The Platter's are coming to town!"...but there will be one DJ brave enough to say "oh by the way, only the original drummer is alive and playing with the new group"...most of the time I think these groups count on folks believing that the actual group (all members) from the 50's etc will be there...

Same with the whole "Beatles Revivial" type thing..I don't get why folks wanna see some dudes pretend to be the Beatles...what's the fascination? Do they go and tell their friends..."I saw the fake Beatles yesterday!"

So would you go to a concert knowing that none or maybe one or two non-critical members are even there?

On a side note, I'd probably be cool with going to a concert knowing the original lead singer was there and the rest of the band is made up of studio musicians....kind of like Pink Floyd when only Gilmour and the drummer(?) were touring several years back...With that I'd feel like I didn't totally miss out on the Floyd experience.

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

No.

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

If you are not familiar with Spirit, this will mean nothing to you.

This was a 60s - 70s group that featured a drummer who "grew the hair on the inside", i. e., had a shaved head at a time when everyone else had shoulder length hair. The band had broken up, but he hired some hired glukns to tour Europe, IIRC. As long as he was there, nobody knew the difference.

I did go to see the Beach Men, well, Mike Love & Bruce Johnston, a couple of years ago. I refuse to refer to guys in their 60s as "Boys".