WTB: Inexpensive HT Receiver

Discussion in 'For Sale/Trade Lounge (members)' started by Dan Driscoll, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I'm looking for an inexpensive/cheap HT receiver for a 3.1 system. I don't need a lot of power, the L/R/C speakers are bookshelf size and the sub is powered. It does need to have working HDMI and at least 1 optical input, but it doesn't need to be 2.2 or have ARC. A built-in tuner would be nice, but is not required. Marantz, Yamaha and Pioneer are preferred, but I will consider anything. Max budget is $150, delivered. If you're anywhere near zip code 34231 (Sarasota, FL) I would be happy to come to you or meet midway.

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Ignore anything labeled Pyle... LINKY

3. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Don't forget accessories4less.com. They are in Apopka, FL.

4. Dan Driscoll

Pyle came up in my initial searches and was immediately discarded.

I'd already looked at Amazon & A4L, but wanted to see if anyone here or at AC had something decent they just don't use anymore. If no one here or over at AC has anything better I'll go an AVR from one Amazon or A4L.

5. Dan Driscoll

Hmmm, it's about a 2 hour drive from here to Apopka... ;)

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

It is just a warehouse operation. I've gotten my last few receivers there. I'm in the central east coast and I think it is 2 days to get it with shipping (I'm probably about an hour and a half). So if you would order it before a certain time today, you'll probably get it Wednesday.

7. Dan Driscoll

I have a refurb Denon S510BT in my A4L cart. It looks like the best option under $200 and is likely what I'll get if nothing else pops up in the next day or 2.

8. Dan Driscoll

Amazon has the Yamaha RX-V379 for $230, vs $170 for the Denon AVR-S510 from A4L. The Yamaha is new, the Denon refurb and the specs are pretty similar. What will probably seal the deal for the Denon, even more than the price, is that it has HDMI pass-thru and the Yamaha does not. I don't want to turn the receiver on every time I watch the news.

CJ likes this.
  9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Denon sounds better tha Yamaha imo.

10. Dan Driscoll

I've had a lot of Yamaha gear over the years, but never Denon. My 1st high end stereo system was based around a Yamaha M4 power amp and C4 pre-amp and I loved them.

But this is for HT and background music when we have people over, not serious listening. So I'm more concerned about ease of use for my wife and the feature set than I am about sound quality. The serious listening will be in the den.

The one thing missing from both the Denon and Yamaha is networking capability. Right now I stream from my SB3, but I plan to move it to the den. If I want to stream in the main room I'll need it either built into the receiver or I'll have to buy another streaming device.

11. Dan Driscoll

The Denon has Bluetooth. That's a lousy streaming format for audio, but again, it would just be for background. However, the only BT device I own is my phone and I've never enabled BT on it.

12. Dan Driscoll

I also posted this over on Audio Circles and I was offered a 10 year old Yamaha RX-V2700 for $100. The seller was just a 10 minute drive away, so I looked at it and it was pristine. It had everything I needed and worked perfectly, so I bought it. It also has built-in wired networking and will be connected to my router, so I can stream to it and I can access the GUI directly, instead of having to use the remote control and TV display. Yes, it's old and doesn't have a lot of the newer codecs, but it is still overkill for what I'm going to use it for. And with the network port I might be able to upgrade the software.

BTW, the seller's name is Jim and he seems to be a nice guy. We talked music, audio and real estate for almost an hour and I really enjoyed the conversation. Despite my better judgement, I did suggest he check us out here on HTL. He might even do it, because he fondly remembered Mike Knapp from his HTF days. So if you notice him looking around, don't scare him off. ;)

Barry_NJ likes this.