1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

XBox 360 - who else wishes they waited to buy?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Guest, May 14, 2007.

1. I bought my XBox 360 and HD-DVD add-on at Christmastime, after doing lots of research, which included contacting MS about a new upgraded/fixed unit... which they repeatedly denied was in the works.

Now, the previously denied upgraded and fixed XBox 360 is available for sale at little more than the cost of the original unit plus HD addon.

Does anyone besides me feel "Bush-wacked" by MS, so to speak?

Who else besides me would have waited to buy the new XBox 360 Elite if MS had been honest about its' development?

2. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Eh, that's the 'price' of technology, buy something today and tomorrow it's replaced. It sucks, it pisses ya off, but that's the way it goes.

I have a shiny iPod photo, bought it about a month and a few days before they announced iPod video models (selling at the same price).

Also, are the new Xbox's using the new chipsets? I thought they hadn't switched over yet, so the red-ring of death issue is likely still around.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

What Andrew said. I didn't buy one but I've got the same scenario with my Toshiba HD-A1. Its slow, buggy, skips and locks up sometimes. In other words, its a first generation product. The only "right out of the gate" product I've not had trouble with is my Nintendo Wii.

4. I think we all can understand and expect that electronic companies will sooner or later release advanced new and improved versions of a past year's model... but, this IMO, was different due to what I considered MS's deception on the new XBox 360. I emailed them and also posted inquiries on the rumored Elite and everyone from MS and even some well known HTT'ers assured me that no new Xbox 360 was on the horizon.

Regardless, I made the decision to buy, and my only problem is with how MS lied to those of us who asked about the new Elite while trying to make buying decisions on the old 360.

If I used my head, I'd have put the XBox overheating, audio, and video connection problems together with the rumors about the Elite and waited. My Bad.

Anyone else wish they had waited too?

If MS offered an "I'm sorry upgrade path" to the Elite for half price... would you upgrade to the Elite?

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

They aren't going to tell you either. It's not in their best business practice to tell a random guy that something new is coming. Do you know how assinine it would be to let the cat out of the bag?
    No. I don't need the 120 gig hard drive or the HDMI connector. Why pay $80 more than I did last year for my 360 for it?
    No. But I could have traded my 360 in and spent an additional $150 for an Elite doing a trade in deal at EBGames

Let's reaffirm here that Microsoft didn't lie to us. EVERY COMPANY does this.

HDMI and a bigger hard drive may not be an upgrade to you. They aren't to me. Games don't support 1080P so 1080P via HDMI is a non issue. Extra HDD only matters if you download quite a bit from the marketplace.

6. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

But that's how every company works, they will deny new products coming along until they are ready to announce them. Granted every once in awhile a company moves that time table up because of rumors, but it's not that often.

Eh, not really. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the Xbox since I purchased it. If I waited for every "new" piece of technology coming along, well I would never have any new technology ;)

If it were known to be more reliable, maybe (50/50). The Elite doesn't really offer anything for me, I can get the bigger hard drive if/when I need it. HDMI is ok, but it's not the newest version so doesn't really add any value over using component/VGA (for me). The reliability and audio issues are a big questions mark, I can make the thing more reliable myself (not being constrained by warranty means it'll get fixed right next time), the audio fix should come along some day for the standard Xbox.

7. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I'm with Shane and Andrew on this one. The Elite does not offer me anything that I need. I have plenty of space on my 20gig HD and HDMI isn't something I can benefit from.

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

The audio issue is present on the Elite so we have to rule that out.

The only reason I'd consider trading my 360 is for a 360 with a quieter fan. Then again I can't hear the thing now that it's in the closet.

9. Thanks Shane and Andrew for the info and for your opinions.

And sure, I should expect no company to tell the truth if it means decreased profits... jeesh, how dumb was I to trust MS when they repeatedly said that no new Xbox 360 was in the works and that Tom's site was BS. DOH! :oops: Like I said, lesson learned.

As for me, if I had ignored MS and listened to folks like Tom I would have waited till the Elite was available to buy one. The HDMI/upconversion, digital audio issue and overheating/breakdown problems are enough to overcome 4 months of XBox fun for us. Even better, is the upgrade offer by the company Shane mentioned. Thanks Shane! (insert thumbs up emoticon here).

Those that know me, know how frustrated I must be to have bought an HDMI/DVI equipped HDTV for the gameroom only to end up using that input for a source that could care less... my cable box. In the meantime, the XBox/DVD player is using component... :oops:

One of these days, I'll learn from you folks and make some good buying decisions.

Thanks again for the help!

10. Oh Poop... I can't believe that MS didn't fix that on their new Elite. That's just embarrassing for them.

As for the fan, after reading about the Xbox's that died due to heat, I am using (maybe... since I think it voids the warrenty - how Eff'd is that?), an add on fan which keeps the unit cool, but sounds like a tornado. I guess that my concern over bad audio output can be put on hold until the fan noise issue is solved anyway? :D

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I think one has to use common sense and experience when dealing with companies and not hold them to too high of a standard frankly. Its only common sense to not announce new products that aren't ready yet. Everyone does it from Apple to MS to Sony. Heck, even retailers will conveniently forget to tell you that the new Mk III is shipping next month while you're signing the credit card slip on the Mk II.

12. Well said CJ... although that's why it is probably good to buy from someone who offers a 6 month upgrade plan... oh crap, Tweeter's gone chapter 11 now. Maybe that is only one reason why? ;)

13. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

If I had known about that stuff previous to my purchase I would have waited.

14. Thanks Drew... I was starting to think that I was the only dummy... err, not that you are a dummy like me too... ;)
    (Misery loves company) :)

15. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I can be a dummy. I am smart, but I lack common sense.

16. Shane

Shane Active Member

I know some stores like Compusa let you upgrade if you buy the extended warranty. By using your extended warranty they let you trade up if you pay the difference. Once you trade up, you have to buy another extended warranty to go forward.

There's a dishonest way of abusing a place like Costco but I won't go there.

My 360 might be loud but it's never given me a lick of trouble(knock on wood). Why jinx it with a new machine(trading up to an Elite)?

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

I know some stores like Compusa let you upgrade if you buy the extended warranty. By using your extended warranty they let you trade up if you pay the difference. Once you trade up, you have to buy another extended warranty to go forward.

There's a dishonest way of abusing a place like Costco but I won't go there.

My 360 might be loud but it's never given me a lick of trouble(knock on wood). Why jinx it with a new machine(trading up to an Elite)?

18. Thanks again Shane.

I bought my XBox 360 and accessories from Target (Hi Mr Rich! :))
    And, of course I didn't pay near the full price, but, I could have done the same thing with the new Elite too.

Anyway, my son is very happy with the XBox 360, and really doesn't give a dang about the audio, video or fan noise problems.... :D The little things are my concern.

Maybe me and everyone, needs to get back to those days where the content was the THING? (I can hear Larry nodding now...). :D

19. Thanks again Shane.

I bought my XBox 360 and accessories from Target (Hi Mr Rich! :))
    And, of course I didn't pay near the full price, but, I could have done the same thing with the new Elite too.

Anyway, my son is very happy with the XBox 360, and really doesn't give a dang about the audio, video or fan noise problems.... :D The little things are my concern.

Maybe me and everyone, needs to get back to those days where the content was the THING? (I can hear Larry nodding now...). :D

20. brianca

brianca New Member

how is saying that an new version of xbox isn't in the works while there's one about to come out not lying?