1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

XP Lock up issue -- help! Update: FIXED!!! WAHOO!!!

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Graeme, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Hi all,

Having a very strange problem with my desktop PC. Running XP, ATI graphics card, nothing odd about my config.

So for some reason every time I open up any web page be it in Firefox or IE, computer locks up. No blue screen, just everything stops moving on the screen (i.e. mouse pointer no longer moves, keystrokes do nothing etc.)

This just started happening, wasn't doing anything in particular, and didn't make any config changes at all. In any case, after re-booting and scanning for virii, spyware etc., still have the issue.

What is strange is when I boot into Safe Mode with Networking, can surf pages no issue. No lock-up, nothing.

I have no idea what has happened -- any ideas?

Graeme

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Did you check the event logs? Might see something other than IE or FF.

I would go into both browsers and set and EVERYTHING to default. If that does it for IE maybe reinstall FF.

3. Graeme

I checked the event log -- the only error I see is quite periodic, and states that the "Aedbskntma" service cannot be found and could not be started. Strange -- I don't see this service listed when I run services.msc.

Anyway, regarding IE -- the version I have not *is* all default -- I haven't changed anything on it since it was installed (since I never use it).

Graeme

4. Graeme

Hmmm...now I am thinking it is potentially my C: Drive. I got a big .NET error on all my ATI services while looking around the machine to try and clean it up. When I ran a checkdisk on my C: drive, I got a message back that Windows was unable to complete a scan.

Uh oh...does not sound good!

Graeme

5. Graeme

Still, that doesn't explain why nothing died when in Safe Mode. Hmmm...

Graeme

6. Graeme

Well, just finished a check disk, this time completed with no errors. Defrag also no issue.

I've found the one scenario that always smokes my computer is going to www.ati.com. Once the animation shifts from the first to the second "advertisement" it locks up everything.

Aaargh! This is annoying the crap out of me!

Graeme

7. Graeme

Back into safe mode, back to the site www.ati.com and...NO CRASH!!! Aaargh!!!

Then, I decide to try to do a scan, but Norton Antivirus doesn't show up in the tray because I'm in safe mode. So I try to find it and find the executable for the tray utility, double-click and...it reboots my machine! What the hell?

I am really confused and annoyed now. You think this could be signs of a dying C drive?

Graeme

8. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

I suspect it's your video drivers. Safe mode doesn't use any drivers and from what you describe it you might want to either: uninstall your current video drivers - reboot - install the latest drivers ... or do a fresh install (format harddrive). Keep troubleshooting.

9. RickG

RickG New Member

Run adaware and/or spybot. See if you have contracted something that they can detect.

10. Drew

I had an issue similar to this with a build in college. Whenever I would drag and drop files in explorer my screen would start to shake and after about 3 seconds the machine would reboot. Solved that problem when the MOBO bit the dust and replaced it.

11. Graeme

Adaware, Spybot S&D and Hijack This all run, nothing found.

Colton -- I tried uninstalling all my ATI drivers, which was successful *except* for ATI Hydravision. For some reason when I ran the ATI uninstaller it didn't uninstall this. Then when I go to Add/Remove Programs and click the Change/Remove button on this entry, nothing happens. Worse yet, when I downloaded the new drivers from ATI and tried to install, at the end of the installation it hangs. When I try to re-boot after the hang it freezes right before showing the log-in screen. Was able to reverse using the "use last good configuration" option, but the original problem still happens. I know the ATI drivers aren't there because I get the "found new hardware" dialog when booting (and once it froze on this).

Spoke with my buddy who's a tech here and builds computers on the side. He said he had almost the exact same problem (he thinks the problem that is smoking my computer when viewing certain sites is a problem with embedded flash content) and said his problem went away with CCleaner, so I'll try that today.

Graeme

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I know some of us at work have issues just like this occasionally when viewing CNN.com....total freeze up and we have to shut the PC down to restart it...our I.S. guy says it's due to certain form of ad's they run on the home page.

We are using IE 6 and some have IE 7.

13. cjd

cjd New Member

I bet it's a shared plug-in - Flash seems a very likely candidate in this case.

Probably an overzealous anti-something-you-don't-have-so-it-wants-to-feel-important-and-deleted-something-anyhow tool

14. Colton

Were you in SAFE MODE when you uninstalled the ATI Hydravision drivers? Also, there's a free Microsoft program that will uninstall anything that doesn't work through their Add/Remove program. That might work. Let me see if I can find it ... ah, here it is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

15. Drew

deletepartition.jpg

It callllllllls to you.

:lol:

16. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Try using the Restore to an earlier date feature to go back to a date prior to the start of the freezing. That's solved a number of problems for me.

17. Graeme

So, it was linked to the graphics card. Graphics card must be dying or dead. Replaced the card, all is fine now.

Of course in the process I've wiped my machine squeaky clean, which isn't a bad thing. :)

Thanks for the replies all. Anyone want an ATI card that is guaranteed to crash when you open ATI's website? :lol:

Graeme

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

/flamebait

Sounds like an ATI card to me ;)

19. Drew

[​IMG]

20. Colton

nvidia for me ... always have - always will.