1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Yet another rough thing I have been dealing with lately

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Last year my Dad had a kidney out due to cancer and they felt it was in the clear but over the last several months my dad had been experiencing some severe pains and after looking thing over it seemed that there was now cancer in the area where his kidney had been.

They eventually decided the best course of action was Kemo and a little more then 3 months ago my dad started his treatments. They had him on oxycontin and he couldn't drive while on this and needed to be driven everywhere. Then about one month in his eyes started to cross and they quickly did a scan of his head and they found some liaisons there so they were according to the Dr fairly small and early on. This meant for his second month of Kemo he got to also do radiation on his head at the same time.

So he did 15 days of radiation on his head and 3 months worth of Kemo which is basically like 3 complete cycles and yesterday my dad went in to have a bunch of different scanning tests to check out the various stuff in his body and his head. Today he is going to see the Dr for the results of these scans and find out where he stands.

There has been good signs that he has responded to treatment and the Dr seemed quite encouraged that after the second month of Kemo he stopped taking the oxycontin and has only occasionally taken some percessete (Sp?) some nights to get to sleep to where he has not been taken any pain killers in over a week and is pretty much pain free at this point.

The bad is that he is still having some problems with his eyes though they tell him it is normal for things to actually worsen during radiation and for the 15-30 days following it. They say if they don't get better they could likely use some sort of glasses to pull them straight.

Oh Well It has been a rough few months with lots of stress between buying and backing out of a deal on a house, and a second home purchase which we close on tomorrow and the fighting stuff with Ian and Crap involving his real dad, I swear some days I just don't feel like getting out of bed.

So I sit and hope my mom and dad call with good news today.

BTW my dad seems the polar opposite of Jack's, he is the nicest guy (Though Kemo gave him a slight mean streak but they say this is normal) and he has always been the best father, friend and business partner I could ever have wanted. We are I feel as close as a father and son can be and what I hope will be the model of my relationships with Ian and Noah in the future.

I had not idea how lucky I was with him as a father until I got to high school and starting seeing issues with some of my friends parents. I have always tried to let him know how lucky I felt.

Max

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Max, I have no real advice but still wanted to say you and your family are in my thoughts.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Best wishes headed your families way.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Max, I feel for ya buddy. 2000 was upheaval year for me. But as Sir Reginald Dwight would say, I'm still standing (yeah, yeah, yeah).

Hang in there!

- Steve

5. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

You and the family are in our thoughts, Max.

Positive vibes, everyone!

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Keep your spirits up...we'll all be rootin' for your Dad!

JL

7. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Max

I am very sorry for your fathers and families plight. This kind of situation can bring the toughest men to their knees. I am so very thankful that you and your father have a positive relationship that will always last.
    Y'all are in my thoughts and I believe all will be well as time goes by.

Very Best to you and Yours

8. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Hang in there Max. I hope you get some good news soon.

9. hgroff

hgroff New Member

Having re-kindled a relationship with my dad over the last 10 years, I can uderstand what your going through. Although family members aging and health failing are a part of being human, it is always hard when it hits so close to home. I offer my best wishes for you and your family. Embrace the moments for those memorys will span the course of time.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Hang in there Max.

Call me if you need to chit chat.

11. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well got mostly great news this afternoon, it seems that most of the stuff in the body has undergone a serious reduction which means he is responding well to Kemo and he may still have to occasionally under go more Kemo treatments but they will keep an eye on and expect it can be controlled for sometime. They don't like to say how much but from what I gather we are talking years and not months which is very cool to me.

Tomorrow he is going to get his brain rescanned to find out where he stands there. They say that it will still be hard to tell because after radiation on the head, the infected areas usually still show as swollen for at least 30 days after the last radiation treatment which makes it hard to get a full read right away.

Max