1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

You don't see this every day! (Thankfully!)

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Tom R S 4, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

This morning for work I had to leave the office. On my way back, I noticed I was about to be entering the interstate behind a semi, which I hate to do. The semi was about 200' ahead of me, and following the right-hand curve of the entrance ramp. I was only going about 40 mph and not catching up to him, since there was no point, when in slow motion the trailer leaned a bit to the left, and continued leaning to the left until the right wheels left the ground and then continued on until the entire truck was laying on its side. I know my eyes got as big as DVDs and my jaw dropped. I stopped, about 100' behind, fumbled for my phone, and called 911. The first thing going through my mind was that if the driver's hurt, the sooner someone that can help got there the better. While I was on the phone to the 911 operator a man in a camo outfit climbed up onto the side of the cab (which was not the 'top') to check on the driver. I didn't see his SUV get there, but he must have driven down the embankment from the crossroad. I pulled up alongside the semi (There was plenty of room since the semi rolled to the left, and was on its side in the grass) while he was still on the cab, and put my window down. He told me the driver was O.K., and asked if I had called 911. I told him that I had. About this time I saw some others with cell phones out, and I didn't see any point in sticking around, so I went on to lunch. :shock:

2. Chris White

Chris White New Member

From your description, it doesn't sound like he was going very fast. Do you know what caused the rollover?

3. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I've done a little bit of searching, but haven't had any success. Just based on my speed I guessed he was going 40, maybe 45 tops. I wonder if the load shifted, but I really don't know.

4. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Yeah semi's are scary!

Especially the drivers in OHIO! What a coincendice(sp?) I have seen two semi's tip over both times I was in Ohio.

5. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

http://www.misdb.com/car/

I was hit by a Semi (side swipped and pushed into the side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Memorial_Bridge) about 5 years ago.

Hit-and-Run, driver never stopped. The cop said that he probably didn't even feel his truck hit my car. I was on my way home (less than an hour from home) from a road-trip to a family reunion and at the end of a 14 hour day of driving. NOT the best way to end the day.

I'm freaked out by them now, and, if I need to pass one on a highway, I'll floor it till I get past it. In this particular case, we were on the bridge, I was going just about the speed limit (maybe 5 over) in the right lane. The truck in the lane just to left of me got stuck behind a car going like 40 and decided to change lanes to the right to get around that car. Unfortunatly, I was in that lane.

6. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Chris, did you get any compensation from the trucking company?

7. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Nope, white truck, no markings that I could identify/remember and, like I said, hit and run and never found out who it was.

8. Scott Hudson

Scott Hudson New Member

I had a Dumptruck 200' in front of me slam on the brakes (white smoke everywhere) cross two lanes and spin 180? to a stop in the leftmost fast lane. A stunt driver couldn't have done it better. Everyone else stopped in time and he didn't hit a thing. He did a three-point turn (we were all stopped too close to him for a U-Turn) and drove off.
    This was yesterday on my way home from work.

9. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

You guys don't likely see them as much as I do, but logging trucks freak me out...all those giant two foot think rolling pins ready to pop out and crush me!

It happened a few years back locally...the truck was passing a "sleigh ride" when the logs came loose and they came down on ttop of the sleigh ride! It was pretty nasty...

Jason